Exporting camera's from Maya to Lightwave

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2009
Exporting camera's from Maya to Lightwave

Hi there, I'm working on an animation at work. We have to use Maya to animate and we need this camera info to line up precisely in Lightwave. Someone has experience with this? I have tried FBX, but the camera moves did not match.
We have to motion control (Milo) a shoot and this camera information can be read in Maya, but we need all the camera info in Lightwave. Complicated. :|

Hope someone can give me some insight. Thanks in advance!

05 May 2009
We regularly use fbx to transfer cameras between Maya & Max and don't have any problems (sorry don't use LW any more). Check both (Maya & LW) versions of the fbx importer / exporter are exactly the same, and make sure your framerates match. That's all I can think of.

05 May 2009
In highend3d you have a mel for export camara to lightwave have you try___

Camera I/O 1.0.0
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downl...a-I-O-4768.html

05 May 2009
Thanks for the help guys. I tried the IO plugin, it works quite write, but it was not 100%. I'm going to try again with FBX.

Does someone know whether Lightwave supports .anim files?

05 May 2009
Originally Posted by CoolDuck: Does someone know whether Lightwave supports .anim files?
Not natively. But if you open a .anim file in a text editor you'll see it's pretty easy to read, so you could script something in LW.

05 May 2009
The Camera I/O script worked! I had to use the rotation version of the script. Super!

05 May 2009
Hi,

when working at Captain Scarlet back in 2004/2005 we used the Beaver Project to export from Maya to Lightwave...

the Beaverproject works quite good... or atleast did... might depend on production setup etc.
e.g. made a automatic beaverprocessing script to do it... which was running on a pc where the animators could throw on their scenes... and get it exported to lightwave via the beaverproject...

e.g. to get a camera exported from maya to lightwave with the beaverproject... just tag it with the beaverscript for tagging... run the beaverprocess... and open up your file in lightwave...

so if you are working with a lot of stuff between Maya and Lightwave I would suggest you to have a look at the beaverproject...

as I recall there is some coordordinates differences between lightwave and Maya... but can't remember it... if I remember it... I will try to see if I can find some of my old scripts from back then... did some tests and analyzes...

kind regards

Strarup

one mistake can ruin it all... :)

05 May 2009
Originally Posted by CoolDuck: The Camera I/O script worked! I had to use the rotation version of the script. Super!

great!

05 May 2009
Originally Posted by strarup: Hi,

when working at Captain Scarlet back in 2004/2005 we used the Beaver Project to export from Maya to Lightwave...

the Beaverproject works quite good... or atleast did... might depend on production setup etc.
e.g. made a automatic beaverprocessing script to do it... which was running on a pc where the animators could throw on their scenes... and get it exported to lightwave via the beaverproject...

e.g. to get a camera exported from maya to lightwave with the beaverproject... just tag it with the beaverscript for tagging... run the beaverprocess... and open up your file in lightwave...

so if you are working with a lot of stuff between Maya and Lightwave I would suggest you to have a look at the beaverproject...

as I recall there is some coordordinates differences between lightwave and Maya... but can't remember it... if I remember it... I will try to see if I can find some of my old scripts from back then... did some tests and analyzes...

kind regards

Strarup

Interesting! Thanks for the tip. Certainly something to look into... Can you export Maya rigs to LW?

05 May 2009
Export maya rigs to LW, why, and no? If you have the animation, bake it and fbx it into LW, or like someone else suggested, use beaver.

05 May 2009
Originally Posted by Remi: Export maya rigs to LW, why, and no? If you have the animation, bake it and fbx it into LW, or like someone else suggested, use beaver.
Quoted for agreement. Why would you want to take a rig from Maya into LW? Use some baking / mdd / Point Oven / Point Cache / Beaver Project solution.

05 May 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread