Randomly not snapping

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
Randomly not snapping

There are a few times--and I have no idea why--that various things will not snap to others.
In this specific case, I have a Slice modifier that won't snap to a vertex; when I put the mouse pointer over the vertex, the snap indicator--that yellow cross--appears, but when I move the slice plane over it, it just won't snap, and I have no idea why not.

I've tried this in every style of view I can: Top, Bottom, Left, Right, Perspective, etc. The results are all the same.

...but it also seems specific to thatvertex; it will snap to others...just not the one I need.
You see the one in the lower left of the window...? It'll snap to that. (So, for the record, just cuz someone might mention it, yes, the box for Vertex ischecked on the Grid and Snap Settings window.)

And this has happened many times; it seems completely random. Can anybody explain it? Because it's beyond frustrating.

12 December 2017
I don't know/think this will help, but mentioning it as one option to look into:

when ive had issue with something not snapping to a vertex, I'll go into the vertex sub-object level of the mesh/poly, hit "unhide all", and then I'm able to snap to the vertex that I wasn't able to snap to before. In other words, I've noticed that if some vertices were hidden when I was in sub-object vertex mode, then I won't be able to snap to those vertices. So try that.

The reason I don't know if that will work in your case is that, in my case, I won't even get that snapping crosshair on the vertex (from what I remember); which makes me think that it's possibly something else (?). But, since any new suggestion can help spark exploring in a new direction, I figured I'd mention it. Good luck and let me know if that happens to work.

P.s. sometimes vertices are hidden because I was hiding certain polygons (so the vertices connected to those polygons become hidden in the sub-object vertex mode. So, if you don't see all your vertices appear after clicking on "unhide all" in sub-object vertex mode, first go into the sub-object polygon mode and "unhide all" polygons there, then go to sub-object vertex mode and "unhide all" vertices there. May not need to do this (don't remember exactly), but mentioning it to cover all grounds.

12 December 2017
Huh. Somehow, somewhere, I completely missed that you could hide individual polygons. Weird.

But I'm pretty sure I'm not doing it, so...probably something else.
Thanks, tho.

12 December 2017
Okay, this is just ludicrously stupid, but... after a little experimentation, it seems as though the problem is that I have anything selected.

I can get a Slice modifier's plane to snap to absolutely any vertex whatsoever...as long as it isn't one that is part of the polygons I have selected.
If I unselect them, or turn off polygons lower in the stack, I can totally get the Slice plane to snap to where I want, but notif they are selected.

Now, obviously, I can just position the Slice where I want it and then turn polygons back on lower down...but, seriously, how @#$%ing stupidis that? I can't be the only one who thinks that this is the exact oppositeof how this should work!

Ugh. Oh, well. At least I seem to have figured it out. At least.

reply share thread