DinoMonsters, new breed of superheroes, Damir G. Martin (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2009
Originally Posted by AIR: When I was halfway trough making DinoMonsters, I was still unaware of any of those similar dinoman concepts, and I spent hours trying to find if there is something like that on the market, but then I discovered Dinosaucers, Extreme dinosaurs(spawned of of comic book Dinosaurs for hire) and Dino squad.
Finding out that I didn't made anything original and ground braking was in some way defeating, especially when I thought I hit the "gold mine" with my concept. But then I studied those other concepts , and figured out that I have something much better going on. Now I hope people will share my beliefs.
And it is hard to be original these days, I can tell that much.

You are right and wrong in some way.

It is true that originality is very hard to come by. And nowadays there are many unfortunate stories of "Gee... if I only knew" like how some Hollywood types paid money for the rights to "The 300 Spartans" only to find themselves a short time after sitting in a dark theatre witnessing the launch trailer for Zack Snyder's "300".

Now THAT is a BIG story of woe.

Let's see.. in the course of many many years... everybody has milked the land of ideas nearly dry. Dinosaurs, Space Aliens, Robots that Turn Into Cars, Robots that Turn into or look like People, Aliens who appear to be children, Vampires, Vampires who are angst-filled Teenagers.. the list goes on.

But in many ways, originality is ALWAYS possible even if you are the third or second person to think of Dinosaurs as a main gimmick.

Take heart from something Steven Spielberg shares with would be creators when he "lectured" film students on the show "Inside the Actor's Studio" hosted by James Lipton.

He explained that he'd been making movies about just about anything for many years. He explains that ultimately what will set your work apart is not the "gimmick" or the effects, but how much of the work is, in fact, a part of YOU. Because there's only one YOU in the entire planet... If you honestly put yourself into your work in the form of a question, a belief, or a hypothesis that you alone want to explore.. The story does become original.

One example of this is "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". This is in fact the nth film in a long line of Hollywood films about Alien visitation. But Spielberg explored the idea of fashioning the hero as a bored suburban man who, unthinkably, joins the aliens and leaves his family. Not the first film about aliens. But was it original? You bet!

If there is something YOU want to explore that you are sure is true to yourself. Then it doesn't matter if your property is the 20th Dinosaur related property.

Good luck.

01 January 2010
thats pretty cool. turntable spins a little fast though

01 January 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread