FBX animation export to UNITY

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2018
FBX animation export to UNITY

I have a curtain opening animation that I made with a cloth modifier in 3d max and would like to export it through FBX to UNITY but the animation wont export.

1. I have tried to convert the cloth animation into point cache animation. no luck.

2. I have tried to convert the cloth animation into keyframes. no luck.

3. Tried all different FBX versions to export in. no luck.

4. Ive tried to bake the keyframes. no luck.

Once I have the FBX file there is just no animation inside. Not sure what to do anymore.

any other suggestions? Im using 3d max design 2012.

03 March 2018
You need to look for a vertex animation tool for 3ds Max to Unity, that type of animation is only usable within 3ds Max so the only way to use it in another program is to bake it to vertex animation.

03 March 2018
Yeah unless that's a joint based animation (with skinning information for deformations) that's not going to play well with Unity natively.
There have been some whispers concerning Unity supporting Alembic caches in the newer version (whether you need a plug in or not Im not sure). Might be worth looking into.

03 March 2018
@darthviper. Thanks I found a convert to vertex animation script and tried this but still no luck. The FBX exported file contains the animation, its just that UNITY doesnt read it. Very weird.

@nmcelmury: Yes I read about this somewhere but isn't this only for Blender users? Ill check into it a little more.

03 March 2018
I ended up using a bone setup for animation. Doesnt look so good but will have to do for now. Thanks for the help

reply share thread