Rigging/Animating Multiple Meshes In One Character

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

06 June 2014
Rigging/Animating Multiple Meshes In One Character

The title pretty much sums up my question but let me explain a bit further.

I'm new to rigging and I have a character that is composed of multiple meshes, which I'd like to keep that way for many reasons, not least of which is that they overlap and may extend or retract in the main body. I cannot think how I would topo such a creation in one mesh.

So what do I need to know about rigging such a character? Am I wrong in wanting to keep the meshes separate?

Right now the model is in Zbrush. Would I retopo each part separately? I can't think of how I would be able to do it in one piece even if I wanted to.

My main problems are that I don't know how I would blend weights overall and balance such a model to prevent meshes from interpenetrating with one another.

I read a lot of advice on the net but most seems anecdotal at best. If anybody that has used this approach in production could chime in I would really appreciate it.

Thank you very much for any help....

PS: On a similar note, I also want my regular characters to be rigged with the head separate from the body for interchangeability and easy updates.

Last edited by firefly9000 : 06 June 2014 at 05:05 AM.

06 June 2014
It's fine to have multiple skinned meshes, you just have to be sure to apply the exact same skin weight value on all vertices that share an edge so if for example you have a head and neck model separate from a body model, you'd just want to make sure that that row of verts along the seam shares the exact same skin weighting value on both meshes so that the meshes don't separate when animated

07 July 2014
Thank you very much for the reply. I got what you said and it makes sense.

I do have however some unclear things on the process though:

For example - I have a guy in a suit. I want the hand to rotate, but the suit sleeve opening should remain still. In real live, when you rotate your wrist inside the suit, the suit hand opening on the sleeve doesn't rotate with the wrist.

So how would I tackle that if I set all weights to affect things the same? Or maybe I'm missing something in the big picture?

07 July 2014
Hey Sor,

If you don't want the sleeve to rotate with the wrist you are in luck since it's pretty straight forward.

Simply paint off all of your wrist joints influence from the sleeve. So when you are rotating the wrist the sleeve isn't affected. You could even leave the wrist joint out of the suit mesh when you bind the skin.

Hope this helps

07 July 2014
Smile

Originally Posted by HobblesLake: Hey Sor,

If you don't want the sleeve to rotate with the wrist you are in luck since it's pretty straight forward.

Simply paint off all of your wrist joints influence from the sleeve. So when you are rotating the wrist the sleeve isn't affected. You could even leave the wrist joint out of the suit mesh when you bind the skin.

Hope this helps

Thank you very much. I always tend to over-complicate things in my mind...

reply share thread