portfolio
Deepak.c.c
VFX ARTIST
Freelancer
Mumbai, India

Send a message via Yahoo to digitalsculpturer
Red face Projecting mattepainting

Hi Guys,
I am projecting a matte painting onto a mesh.I want my camera to move to the back side of my projection.I have my wrap option turned off on my 2d texture node..But I found out my projected texture rays hitting the opposite side of the mesh where I need another texture to be projected.I am uploading a sample image which will show u my issue.
I need my textures to be only projected on one side.I want to block the rays hitting my back face.
Plz somebody help me solve this issue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Proj_problem copy.jpg (48.1 KB, 29 views)

Old 10-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
digitalsculpturer
Veteran
portfolio
Deepak.c.c
VFX ARTIST
Freelancer
Mumbai, India

I tried using sampler info with a condition node to stop texture falling on the flipped normal side..The texture is still passing through the mesh to other side of camera....Yeah i know i can separate the meshes and make a cheat....But I expect a more technical help from you to solve this issue....plz help me STOP THOSE PROJECTED TEXTURE RAYS

Old 10-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Ekenryd
Bugged
portfolio
Thomas
3d/comp
Stockholm, Sweden

I did a projection intensive project recently and thought I'd check my setup, but the weird thing is, it works in maya 2011 but when I tried recreating it in 2012 I can't get it to work correctly. I'll have to dig some more into why it isn't working but here are some screens of my 2011 setup and my 2012 setup (and what's wrong with it).

The different grey parts in the 2011 screen are the "default color" values under "color balance" of the projection node and the file node. The setup is for two different beauty projections, plus a projected alpha to seperate them.

For all 2d placement and projection nodes I have turned off "wrap U/V" and "wrap" respectivily.

But basically, you shouldn't need all the things I setup, all you should need is to turn off those two options, but as I can't get it to work in 2012, and if you are using that too, maybe there is a nice new bug going on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg projMaya2011a.jpg (88.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg projMaya2012a.jpg (93.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Ekenryd : 10-23-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Ekenryd
Bugged
portfolio
Thomas
3d/comp
Stockholm, Sweden

Hehe okay, weird, now it works, very basic, just turned off "wrap" on my proj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg projweird.jpg (92.1 KB, 21 views)

Old 10-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
digitalsculpturer
Veteran
portfolio
Deepak.c.c
VFX ARTIST
Freelancer
Mumbai, India

Thank u very much Ekenryd for ur valuable reply.......I tried turning off WRAP option on projection node ,although it helped me from removing the projected texture on the back side but resulting in an incorrect projection from the camera...I am updating my test images one with wrap turned On and one with wrap turned off...Plz check it out and help me solve this issue...and yes I am using Maya 2012..may be I have to check in other version too
Thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WRap_on.jpg (77.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg WRap_off.jpg (38.5 KB, 17 views)

Old 10-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Ekenryd
Bugged
portfolio
Thomas
3d/comp
Stockholm, Sweden

Hehe that looks really weird. If you want you can send me the scene to thomas AT swiss.se and I'll see if I find something, I enjoy problemsolving and two brains usually works better than one

Only thing I can think of now is that the camera clipping planes somehow affect the projection when it's not wrapping.

Last edited by Ekenryd : 10-24-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
digitalsculpturer
Veteran
portfolio
Deepak.c.c
VFX ARTIST
Freelancer
Mumbai, India

Smile

Hi Thomas....I have sent you the maya file and textures to ur given ID ...Plz check it out and give me a solution
thanks in advance

Old 11-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
digitalsculpturer
Veteran
portfolio
Deepak.c.c
VFX ARTIST
Freelancer
Mumbai, India

my file which has a box mapped from two different cameras .I am getting problem on the back side of the box where i am getting a blend of two textures from both cameras.How can i stop the textures projecting on back side.
I also tried projecting another texture from back side of the box which resulted in an overlapping texture in front too.I mean the back texture is penitrating back to front side of the box .I have an alpha in the transperancy too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File_setup.jpg (78.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Render_from_projection cam 01.jpg (35.9 KB, 2 views)

Old 11-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
digitalsculpturer
Veteran
portfolio
Deepak.c.c
VFX ARTIST
Freelancer
Mumbai, India

Renders from projection cam02 and a render from back side of the model
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Render_from_projection cam 02.jpg (26.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Render_from_back side of object.jpg (20.8 KB, 1 views)

Old 11-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
Ekenryd
Bugged
portfolio
Thomas
3d/comp
Stockholm, Sweden

This is so weird. I tried the exact same setup as I used in this scene

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachm...chmentid=169562

but now it doesn't work. Whenever I turn off wrap, the whole texture just disappears and I have no idea why :|

The only way I get a similar effect now is to set "link to camera" to none, turn off "wrap" and then parent the place3dtexture node to the camera, and then scale it until it roughly fits the resolution gate of the camera.

Very far from optimal as its not a precise method, but at least it works if you dont need superprecision.

Last edited by Ekenryd : 11-07-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
digitalsculpturer
Veteran
portfolio
Deepak.c.c
VFX ARTIST
Freelancer
Mumbai, India

Thanks bro.... But I think it wont be a permanent solution as u said a non precise way of doing this.This makes a 360 rotation in projection impossible unless u split a model into parts :(

Did u notice a Pass Tr. option in the extra attributes of the projection node attributes....cant identify the use of it....I cant see anything about this in maya's Help menu too.....may be you could check it out ...

Old 11-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
Ekenryd
Bugged
portfolio
Thomas
3d/comp
Stockholm, Sweden

No idea, the first thing that comes to mind is mental rays passes, but the "tr" part I dont know. "translation"? :s Maybe it allows to "pass" the translation of whatever those values are downstream to the file node, or something. Anyhow, would be interesting to know what it does.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread