CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > TornadoTwins Game Challenge
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
XilenceX
Veteran
portfolio
Germany

Exteria WIP

Hi and welcome,
I started working on my entry right when the challenge was announced and I even created some prototypes before that.
Now I'm finally ready to show what I've come up with so far.

My game will be a fast paced Fantasy FPS called Exteria.
In the intro the protagonist passes out on the kitchen table after eating his meal. When he wakes up he finds himself on a small floating island with an old man introducing him to his new gained powers. During the game he learns new spells by defeating increasingly difficult monsters. The ultimate goal is to defeat the bosses in the game to be able to return to reality.

Edit: Here is the Beta Trailer for the game:

Let me know what you think about the game&video.

Last edited by XilenceX : 12-27-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
XilenceX
Veteran
portfolio
Germany

Edit: The up to date Credits can be found in the ReadMe document in the game now.

Last edited by XilenceX : 12-27-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Old Credits

Old 08-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #3
Bergquist
3D Artist

portfolio
Aaron Bergquist
3D Stuff
BlueScope
USA

Hey XilenceX,

Lookin Good
Can't wait to see more!

- Bergquist

Old 08-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
XilenceX
Veteran
portfolio
Germany

I've been a busy last week making a video I can show at GDC Europe Indie events&Gamescom. So without further ado here it is:

Ahh that new embed button is awesome and please watch in HD.

The video shows the following changes I've made since the first WIP:
1.The terrain textures got some major overhaul
2. Added the rats as another enemy, they will be the first one the player gets to kill (cliche I know)
3. Added 3 foliage meshes and got the AFS foliage shader to work so they slightly move in the wind
4. I improved the player health system so it behaves as expected now
5. Created a healing spell with a new animation and particle effects.

The next major system I will work on is the "ammunition" for the player which will come in the form of herbs&other plants the player picks up.
Other than that I'll spend most of the time adding more spells, enemies etc.
However I won't get any work done this week here in cologne. ^^

Old 09-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
XilenceX
Veteran
portfolio
Germany

I added another spell and enemy to the game. I couldn't work on the ammunition system yet as I had to change my spell system a lot to get the flame-stream to work.
Here is a short recording of my friend playing the game and killing the new troll enemy:

Old 09-03-2013, 01:44 AM   #6
Bergquist
3D Artist

portfolio
Aaron Bergquist
3D Stuff
BlueScope
USA

Very nice! I really like the look and feel of your new enemy!

- Bergquist

Old 09-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
XilenceX
Veteran
portfolio
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergquist
Very nice! I really like the look and feel of your new enemy!

- Bergquist

Thanks for the kind words!

I've implemented the ammunition system. The player has to pick up energy from herbs/plants to fuel the spells. I've made a new video which also includes a new tree model and some other improvements:

I`m dividing my time between working on a website and the game itself atm, so progress is a bit slower than I would like. However I still hope to have this forest area of the game finished next week. Then I'll work on the floating island where the game starts and most of the storytelling happens.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
XilenceX
Veteran
portfolio
Germany

Today is kind of a big day for Exteria as I've started the Steam Greenlight campaign for it!

EDIT: I've decided to end the in-development Greenlight campaign for Exteria due to lots of negative feedback about its Alpha state. I may start another one around the release of the game.

As you can see I've been quite busy since my last update: I've added the floating island region which is where the introductory part of my entry for the TT game contest takes place. Oh and I love how the voice acting by River Kanoff sounds in my game!

Last edited by XilenceX : 10-10-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
XilenceX
Veteran
portfolio
Germany

Play the Exteria Alpha Demo now!

Hi,
Just wanted to let everyone know that you can play the Exteria Alpha Demo now at:
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/game...l_game/10005709 by clicking on the picture!
All comments and critique are more than welcome!

Old 10-22-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
XilenceX
Veteran
portfolio
Germany

Aaaand it's all done here is my final entry for the TT Game Challenge:
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/game...l_game/10005963
I've added quite a bit of polish&juice since the alpha version, so give the new demo a try!

Thanks to the Tornado Twins and CGSociety for hosting this challenge. Good luck to everyone.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
XilenceX
Veteran
portfolio
Germany

Exteria Beta!

It's been a while since the TT Game Challenge ended. heh However I've been busy in the meantime and the Exteria Beta is finally available!
https://indiegamestand.com/store/747/exteria/

Here is the Trailer for it:

I hope you like the progress I've made since the contest submission and please let me know if you find any bugs or balancing issues etc.

If you don't want to buy the game for whatever reasons send me a PM @ http://forum.unity3d.com/members/311746-XilenceX and I will send you a Key. I would post free Keys here, but I've had some mixed experiences with that for my previous game.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #12
XilenceX
Veteran
portfolio
Germany

The game is also available on Desura now! Here is the updated version of the trailer for the release:

Despite my previous bad experiences with giving away keys on forums I decided to post some here. My only conditions for that would be: 1. Only activate a key if you intend to play the game longer than the tutorial. 2. If you like the game, please leave it a good rating, or even review on Desura.

https://secure.desura.com/cart/gift...RX-HP72R&b=5632

https://secure.desura.com/cart/gift...X3-X7VDX&b=5632

https://secure.desura.com/cart/gift...1K-AX679&b=5632

Old 02-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread