Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
stupiiakzi
portfolio
adib
adib, Netherlands

Vertex refuses to weight

Hi,
I was vertex weighting for a school project when i found out one of my vertex's refuses to weight. No one i could find on school knew how to fix it, I hope you guys can help me out with this.

No matter what i try it wont weight, it doesnt matter what bone i try to weight it to.

Greetings
Adib

Old 01-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

your envelopes looks to be way too small. It's probably getting over written by another bone that is enveloping it.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
stupiiakzi
portfolio
adib
adib, Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki
your envelopes looks to be way too small. It's probably getting over written by another bone that is enveloping it.

That seemed to help a little bit, i enlarged of both bones the envelopes. but now i can only put it on 100% not 50 or 75 or 25. any idea how to fix that?
and how come on other places the envelopes are not big enough either and it still works proper?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
robinb
Expert

With normalise on the weight always has to add up to 100%. If you don't have it assigned to more than one bone then the weight will always be 100 (or 0). Assign it to other bones and you can balance the 100% weight between them. This is what envelopes do for you, but it sounds like you accidentally weighted this one vertex to one bone somehow. I think you can reset that, but I can't remember how (I always use manual weight assignment and never envelopes so never needed it). Have a look through the skin modifier options.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
stupiiakzi
portfolio
adib
adib, Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb
With normalise on the weight always has to add up to 100%. If you don't have it assigned to more than one bone then the weight will always be 100 (or 0). Assign it to other bones and you can balance the 100% weight between them. This is what envelopes do for you, but it sounds like you accidentally weighted this one vertex to one bone somehow. I think you can reset that, but I can't remember how (I always use manual weight assignment and never envelopes so never needed it). Have a look through the skin modifier options.

thats the problem, it says its weighted a to bone(somehow all were weighted to one bones, which i can work around) but as soon as i try to apply it to another bone or bones it just resets basicly. so all bones were standardly weighted to right upper arm, in the viewer to see which it is weighted to it says that, now when i try to weight it to upper left arm, upper right arm and upper left arm go both on 50%(when i select 50% ofcourse) then it just resets to upper right arm.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
robinb
Expert

Under Advanced Parameters in the skin modifier there's a section for resetting weights. Either selected vert, selected bone or all. Try those. Starting with that one vert. If you baked it or set an absolute weight that should reset it to being under envelope control.

The other thing it might be is that the Bone Affect Limit might be set to only one bone per vertex. That's right above the reset option in the same rollout. That defaults to 20, but for games I'd normally set it to 4 bones per vertex. Could be you set it to only 1.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
stupiiakzi
portfolio
adib
adib, Netherlands

Quote:
Under Advanced Parameters in the skin modifier there's a section for resetting weights. Either selected vert, selected bone or all. Try those. Starting with that one vert. If you baked it or set an absolute weight that should reset it to being under envelope control.

The other thing it might be is that the Bone Affect Limit might be set to only one bone per vertex. That's right above the reset option in the same rollout. That defaults to 20, but for games I'd normally set it to 4 bones per vertex. Could be you set it to only 1.

Thanks for the quick and nicely explained responce, though i tried both suggestions and both didnt work. the bone has an 20 affect limit and resetting will just set it to another bone on 100% but i still cant add another bone to it.(so it will be 50% for one and 50% for the other)

Old 01-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
robinb
Expert

That's very odd. have you tried making the two envelopes big and definitely both covering that area? Reset all should be much the same as deleting the modifier and re-applying it. You can try that as a last resort.

What happens if you try to weight it manually? Check the option to select verts if it isn't already active, pick that one vertex. Open the skin toolbox (little spanner/ wrench icon in the skin modifier. That shows a list of all the bones affecting the vertex and allows you to assign weights by hand. Pick the second bone you want to affect it and assign it to that vertex. You can add it with 50% straight away with that interface.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
stupiiakzi
portfolio
adib
adib, Netherlands

Quote:
That's very odd. have you tried making the two envelopes big and definitely both covering that area? Reset all should be much the same as deleting the modifier and re-applying it. You can try that as a last resort.

What happens if you try to weight it manually? Check the option to select verts if it isn't already active, pick that one vertex. Open the skin toolbox (little spanner/ wrench icon in the skin modifier. That shows a list of all the bones affecting the vertex and allows you to assign weights by hand. Pick the second bone you want to affect it and assign it to that vertex. You can add it with 50% straight away with that interface.

i manually weight it like that all the time, i played alot around with the envelopes after the first suggestion and that didnt work :(.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
robinb
Expert

Ok I wasn't sure what level of use you're at.

If none of the above works I can only suggest nuking the modifier from orbit and starting over.

Well not that drastic to start with. I'd cut the modifier, reset xform, paste the modifier. If that doesn't work, I'd clone the object, collapse the clone, reset xform, apply a skin wrap, wrap it to the original, collapse to skin. Then if all that didn't work, I'd nuke it.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
stupiiakzi
portfolio
adib
adib, Netherlands

Quote:
Ok I wasn't sure what level of use you're at.

If none of the above works I can only suggest nuking the modifier from orbit and starting over.

Well not that drastic to start with. I'd cut the modifier, reset xform, paste the modifier. If that doesn't work, I'd clone the object, collapse the clone, reset xform, apply a skin wrap, wrap it to the original, collapse to skin. Then if all that didn't work, I'd nuke it.

Thanks, in going to try that in the weekend, if it doesnt work i will probably just remodel it.
another question: do you know how to do bone controls? like those red and blue circles on here?

Old 01-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
robinb
Expert

There won't be any need to remodel anything. Worst case is always collapsing the model's stack and reset xform and redo the skin modifier. Or attach it to a new box or export and import to something like obj. There's never a need to go back to the modelling stage.

I don't really know anything about rigging, I've always used things like Biped or ready made rigs like that. I think the controls are usually just spline primitives with the bones constrained to them in some way. Look up some of PEN's posts for rigging info.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
stupiiakzi
portfolio
adib
adib, Netherlands

Quote:
There won't be any need to remodel anything. Worst case is always collapsing the model's stack and reset xform and redo the skin modifier. Or attach it to a new box or export and import to something like obj. There's never a need to go back to the modelling stage.

I don't really know anything about rigging, I've always used things like Biped or ready made rigs like that. I think the controls are usually just spline primitives with the bones constrained to them in some way. Look up some of PEN's posts for rigging info.

Sorry for the late reply, was busier than expected this weekend. Reseting all bones worked.
thanks so much for helping me!

Old 01-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread