Unwrap UVW Repeating textures

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
Unwrap UVW Repeating textures

Hello!
Recently I've been working on modelling a building for a particular game, however, I ran into some trouble texturing the whole thing.
In order for the model to work in-game, all textures must be fit into a single 1024x1024px image (diffuse map that is). That way I need to fit as many textures as I need for one building and in the highest resolution possible for each texture and use Unwrap UVW modifier on the whole thing (the building must be one object, so all stuff like antennas, pillars, awnings etc. must be attached to the main object and only after that textured).
I wouldn't have issue with small buildings, however, this building is a skyscraper with more than 100 stories. That means that if I put the whole texture of the side of the building (repeated windows) into that 1024x1024 image, it's going to look awful in-game due to low resolution. So basically what I need is find a way to put only one set of windows (that are going to be repeated on the whole side of the building) into that 1024x1024 image and somehow get it to repeat itself on the side using Unwrap UVW in flattened mapping. And actually I came real close to that, but it's got to be the most time wasting way to do that ever I cut the building's sides into smaller polygons, broke them in UVW flattened mapping and moved them all onto the set of the windows texture - ONE BY ONE, because I didn't find any option to automatically align them into one place. But that's almost impossible to do with more than 100 storied skyscraper. There must be a better system to do that and I bet you guys know the answer
I hope you understand my problem, English is not my native language but I tried to explain it simple, so sorry for that
Any answer is appreciated, so thanks in advance!
Cheers

Old 09 September 2013   #2
Select all the chunks, apply another 'flatten mapping'.

Old 09 September 2013   #3
Originally Posted by scrimski: Select all the chunks, apply another 'flatten mapping'.

Thanks for reply, I tried this but it doesn't work... It just distributes the faces all over the texture again.

Old 09 September 2013   #4
Unwrap one level/ storey of the building and copy and paste the UVs from the quad menu in the unwrap edit window. I think copy and paste only work in poly mode, not vert or edge mode. Not sure.

That will only work in the polygon structure is the same for each level. If it's not, it might be easier to unwrap one level and then collapse and just delete all the other levels and clone that unwrapped one a load of times. Often this is the quickest way to unwrap a lot of repeating stuff: do it on one, then copy it. Unwrap as you go.

Old 09 September 2013   #5
I don't think that you'd need the UVs. Build one storey, unwrap, collapse the stack and clone that storey. As sain, that will only work in the polygon structure is the same for each level.

Old 09 September 2013   #6
Originally Posted by scrimski: I don't think that you'd need the UVs. Build one storey, unwrap, collapse the stack and clone that storey. As sain, that will only work in the polygon structure is the same for each level.

This works quite well, now after trying that I'm actually getting better and better at it Thank you

Old 10 October 2013   #7
I think you might be missing the fact that your UV elements don't need to be within the square, which is in your case 1024x1024 in resolution. Instead, in the UV editor (Unwrap UVW), go to Preferences and enable tiling, set the amount of tiles to any number, maybe 20 or something. Now, unwrap the whole building side, and just put it anywhere in UV space. You could put the bottom level inside the square and let the rest of the building go outside for example, it doesn't matter. This might not work if the levels have different sizes and so on, in that case you could manually adjust each level in the UV editor to align it to the texture. Now you'll have the texture tiled along the entire building.

Old 10 October 2013   #8
Originally Posted by Hagroth: I think you might be missing the fact that your UV elements don't need to be within the square, which is in your case 1024x1024 in resolution. Instead, in the UV editor (Unwrap UVW), go to Preferences and enable tiling, set the amount of tiles to any number, maybe 20 or something. Now, unwrap the whole building side, and just put it anywhere in UV space. You could put the bottom level inside the square and let the rest of the building go outside for example, it doesn't matter. This might not work if the levels have different sizes and so on, in that case you could manually adjust each level in the UV editor to align it to the texture. Now you'll have the texture tiled along the entire building.

This is actually pretty useful information I'll try it, thank you

Old 10 October 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread