Vray AA filter type for animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Vray AA filter type for animation

Antialiasing Filter Type in Vray 2

Guys I am really confused on this subject matter. All the guide books show you examples and test render examples but I really don't know which is best for what situation and at what number.

I am doing a product animation and CatmullRom at 1.0 looks great. Whereas I've read that Area at 2.5 is best for animation.

Can people with some knowledge on this shed some light on the subject. I will be adding motion blur and DOF and all that jazz after the fact but what makes product renders look great and what works for animations?

Old 07 July 2013   #2
there are a few things to consider:

- you probably want smoother edges for animation
- speed drops noticeably if you use sharpening AA algorithms like Lanczos
- more samples are obviously better but will cost you in rendering time

I don't do a lot of animation so I'm probably not the best person to ask but I think most people use Area or Gaussian AA for animation.

V-Ray for Max uses better default settings for the AA settings, so when you adjust AA scheme in V-Ray Tuner ( http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/s...-tuner-for-maya ), it changes your AA settings to match those Max defaults. They may not be perfect but it's better than the 1x1 settings that are stuck at the default in V-Ray for Maya

Old 07 July 2013   #3
I read somewhere that area at 2.5 was the best for animation. But today, I got tempted and switched to sinc and the render just looked so much punchier that I went into a crazy frenzy to find the perfect answer before hitting render.

Unfortunately, i've left the office and kept it at sinc. There goes 12 hours of rendering. Well, hopefully these shots look good with it and i'll switch back for the rest. Anyone else have any info at all, please do chime in.

Thanks for the reply btw CGbeige, always appreciate the help.

Old 07 July 2013   #4
The answer, really, is it depends.

Gaussian at 2.0 is my go-to default. If I have subpixel thin objects or soft curves that are going steppy, Cook Variable 2.5 is a magic bullet in those cases.

I'd be remiss to not warn you about the tendency for sharpening filters to result in negative lobes as a result of the sharpening/contrast filter. It's workaroundable in comp with an experienced comp artist and a comp package on par with Nuke, but it's a major headache to have to deal with.

Even though sharpening filters come out "punchier" from the render, you should be more interested in a clean, artifact free dynamic range when working in production. It's better to punch/contrast stuff up in comp once you've got a decent source to work from.

--T

Old 07 July 2013   #5
for me it depends on the resolution and is there are fine details that will cause moire or noise. most of the time i just use area 2.0 but sometimes quadratic, cubic or area 4.0. (i'm a 3ds max Vray user, i noticed that some filter names are different for maya for some reason?)

Old 07 July 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread