reason to upgrade from cinema 4d to maya?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
reason to upgrade from cinema 4d to maya?

well im just thinking people always call maya better software than cinema 4d but i really dont know the reason for it. you have same modeling tools in cinema 4d than you have in maya, but easier to use, and faster. simple rendering tools, if you want something more advanced you can get vray, build in sculpting mode, with great tools, for texturing you can use body paint 3d but i rarely do, good collection of shaders, different type of shadows, shadow maps, raytraced, area shadows, really simple interface, animation tools are great, i just dont get it why more people dont use this for professional work, i know that maya has some more options for everything, but i really dont think i would need anything else, other than some better dynamics, and stuff like that

Old 07 July 2013   #2
I guess the short answer is: Then don't

Being a one man band and a 100-1000 person production is very different, and requires very different things from the software, in terms of API, pipeline stuff in general. Tool writing and such.
Don't know about C4D but maya is pretty strong in this regard.

Old 07 July 2013   #3
A lot of maya's real power comes from its nodes and being able to create complex rigging/animation relationships between them.

So many tools for all software packages have come out over the last 10 years that the need for custom-made tools and rigging isn't needed quite as much for most people.

Last edited by sentry66 : 07 July 2013 at 12:51 AM.

Old 07 July 2013   #4
These are software we're discussing, not religions, and not scientific debates or proposals for NSF grants and funding. They're tools. They're paintbrushes, metaphorically.

Use whichever one suits you. There are many pros and cons to each of the "main" applications. I could not/would not use C4D, Max, or anything else in my arch/viz pipeline, but many people throughout the world do just fine without Maya, in architecture.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 07 July 2013   #5
Yeah, it definitely depends on what kind of work you do. If it's mograph, idents, product rendering and work like that then Cinema is likely a better choice as it's easy to use and has a lot of native tools for those tasks. If you are doing character animation work though you might find that Cinemas poor timeline performance, buggy import/export plugins, and flaky reference system for character rigs might just drive you nuts enough to switch to Maya for those tasks

Cheers,
Brian

Old 07 July 2013   #6
You mean downgrade.

All kidding aside (not really), you don't call learning a new application upgrading.

Old 07 July 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread