Thanos: The Deviant Eternal

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Thanos: The Deviant Eternal

Hey guys this is my illustration called The Deviant Eternal. It just got rejected from the 2D gallery. Not my most favorite illustration I've done but one I think is of quality enough to be accepted, especially with some of what is already on there. Are the judges possibly not allowing as much work that's of already published material, like fan art? Anyways here is the description I gave.

This is my illustration of the character Thanos. I wanted to have him in a very classic and old school body builder pose. Also I tried to do something a bit different with the infinity gauntlet buy making the energy more of a light or illuminating, rather then the traditional lighting bolt look. All painted in Photoshop, thanks!

I figured since it didn't get accepted I'll share it on here, see what you guys think. Ironically much more feedback is received here then in the actual 2D forum so thanks guys!

Last edited by amscime : 09 September 2012 at 11:59 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #2
You have to be careful when you mention other works in the gallery, it give the impression of feeling sour. Its best for others to judge if your work is better than others.

Also, I do not think fanart or not have an impact on whether a work is accepted or not. I think no one really know what is the required standard this days, probably varies depends on who are the judges.

I do also think, while you may not get many comments, or even a single comment on the gallery, there should be much more people viewing them (compare to WIP threads). write in ENglishThere is actually not a low of active members in this community, despite having many members.

A lot of members just posted their works in the gallery & not much else. But it may be due to this being an international forum, & we have many members not comfortable to write in English. I have a hard time understand what some members are trying to say in their showpiece descriptions, so its understandable that they seldom post comments.

In any case, art is very subjective. If you think its hard to take if your art is not accepted, think about us poor 3D artists. We could take weeks, months even, to make an artpiece, to have it rejected! But of course, you cannot judge a work by the effort & time.

Anyway, I actually quite like this artwork. I can nitpick a few areas, like the wrinkles on the gloves are a little simplistic, & I feel the banana shape thing below the head(what is that called?)can be improved.

But I do not think they are dealbreaker for rejection, but like I said, art is subjective.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
CGS is currently working on implementing a new system where there won't be any submissions required for the Showcase Gallery anymore--you simply post your work into your own CG portfolio page. Instead, a spotlight/editor's pick system will likely be implemented, where excellent works are picked by the forum leaders, and then spotlighted on the front page or show up in a special editor's pick gallery. This way, there's no more drama over rejected images. CG Portfolio will also be updated to allow commenting on the images, so you can still get comments on your image without it ever being picked for any special gallery or awards.

This is all in the planning stage and we don't know how long it'll take to implement.

As for the image, I didn't see it in the cue, so I didn't vote on it.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread