3dsmax\VRay resource allocation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
3dsmax\VRay resource allocation

hi all

Wondering if anyone know how to set up a VRay render in such a way that it there is still some processing power left over just to run basic basic Windows functions (like cancelling a render).

Seems when I run VRay renders, my Windows task manager will tell me that 100% of my processing power is being used. I've taken the common-sense precautions like shutting down other programs and temporarily disabling my network connection, but I'm still getting the same indicators in Task Manager. It actually makes it near impossible to do anything as my mouse-cursor will show a delay of several seconds or more, and hitting "cancel" on the render panel might take minutes or more to react.

Of course it's only an assumption that VRay's eating up all processor resources is the culprit here. Hoping someone has a suggestion.

Thanks & best
Nikpfistar

Old 09 September 2012   #2
There is a Vray option under the settings tab, Miscellnaeous options, to turn on 'Low thread Priority'

Old 09 September 2012   #3
There is a Vray option under the settings tab, Miscellnaeous options, to turn on 'Low thread Priority'

Hi Dave
Thanks a bunch for your response! I gave 'Low Thread Priority' a tick and it seems to give basic OS functions faster response (I can move my mouse around with less lag, open & close folders, etc.) Still, when running Vray renders, my Manager's still telling me CPUs are at 100%. FYI, I'm on a Dual-core Xeon 3GHz w multithreading turned on.
Is this how it ought to be, or is there another setting, possible a Windows OS setting that I'm in the dark about? It doesn't matter hugely, as the OS doesn't lag so debilitatingly anymore, but I would be curious to know how much a performance boost on OS vs. performance-lag on rendertime the 'Low thread' option gives us. Would you happen to know any stats on this?

thanks again and cheers!
Nik

Old 09 September 2012   #4
You can also change the priority of 3ds max in the task manager... just right click the 3dsmax.exe process and choose "Set Priority...". Alternatively you could take one or two cores away from 3ds max under "Set Affinity..." (this wouldn't change the number of render buckets, btw).

Old 09 September 2012   #5
I believe there might be a hidden script option in Vray to limit the number of buckets... But can't find it here at the moment....

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Originally Posted by DaveWortley: I believe there might be a hidden script option in Vray to limit the number of buckets... But can't find it here at the moment....
renderers.current.system_numThreads should do what you want. The default of 0 is for unspecified/all. You could set that to a number lower than your core count to possibly get what you want.

-Eric

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Although the number of buckets is theoretically independent from the number of cores you have. Of course, the default setting is cores = buckets (and makes most sense calculation-wise), but you can set renderers.current.system_numThreads=100 if you feel crazy

Old 10 October 2012   #8
thank you all!

Old 10 October 2012   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread