3D Sculpting Workshop - Movement

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2008   #421
hey all!

-last picts from me on this one. i did a few maya mr renders. -tried working on the arms some more, aswell as a few other places here and there.

once again, really nice work all and thanks for the crits and suggestions.

glenn: you just keeps going on and on -great stuff...

ShamesDean: as i said before, great work.

imtilongchar: great work. very dynamic.

rod: beautiful final final render.

matte3d: -think you did a very nice job with the weighting and all.

daWinky: she's beautiful, sabrina.

amruth9: great stuff. the hands are very well done, imo.

-r

Last edited by rasmusW : 01 January 2008 at 12:08 PM.

Old 01 January 2008   #422
Originally Posted by Quadart: As usual, nice work overall.
There are a couple of things that bother me though. The interruption of the inner tibial line by the gastrocnemius makes his right lower leg look deformed. The calf too strongly wraps and overlaps the soleus creating an unnatural bulge. This does not appear in the original sculpture. 2) The lower abdomen could use some strong twist lines or folds, with less belly bulge, as in the original sculpture. 3) His left wrist is too bulbous from 3 views shown. The right hand placement looks unsure securing the back of the vase. 4) I donít understand the cavity in the lower back. Iíve never seen that anomaly before. The muscles in that area donít look quite right. I also think the flowing water would be more effective (and aesthetically pleasing) if it flowed down to the bottom of the base, as in the original sculpture. The base could be a little more chiseled and hard-edged to look more rocky.

I agree with some of those points, however, the main issue I had with this, was deciding whether to copy it warts 'n all, or make it more naturalistic. This Pajou piece is obviously quite a rapidly made clay prototype, and the forms are often exaggerated, and are never resolved to a finished level anywhere.
If you take a look at this image
http://cartelen.louvre.fr/cartelen/...e&idNotice=2404
you can just how impressionistic it is. I'd say the tibial lines are too harshly depicted, you don't see that in reality, and certainly not on my own legs, so that was artistic exaggeration on his part.
He would of course have resolved all of this in the final marble sculpt, but that has been lost so we'll never get to see it.
My version has ended up a bit of a mixture between trying to get the feel for this clay prototype, and a more finished look where I've added in my own anatomy.
Even if I had copied it exactly, there would still be anatomical errors, because they do exist in the original, as it was never intended to be a final display piece, just notes for the artist.
So this was more about getting the general feel of the original, which for me is the feeling of movement in it, even though it's a sitting pose, mainly due to the strained, exaggerated nature of the pose and muscle tension.

Old 01 January 2008   #423
Far far from the final one, I will finish it In my own thread.
Great work everyone!

Old 01 January 2008   #424
last

Last picture for this workshop and congratulation for everybody and Thanks a lot for all.

www.shamesarts.com

Old 01 January 2008   #425
Happy New Year to everyone!

Enjoyed this workshop very much especially as it was my first one....

Very interesting work by everyone.Has been a great inspiration.Thanks for all the feedback by you all / especially the compliments for "my" hands ...lol
My favourite piece is definitely Rodīs.Superb work and very rational/intelligent posts by you.

Did a complete render with a marbly material but I consider the work still not complete...have been to lazy/occupied in the last festive days if you know what I mean....

and a back view

So.This was the last post.
Hope to "see" you all again in the next workshop!

Till then---All the best

Old 01 January 2008   #426
Rasmus....REALLY OUTSTANDING END RESULT ON YOURS ..BEAUTIFUL WORK...
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Old 01 January 2008   #427
Rasmus - beautiful finish

ShamesDean - excellent

I will have to do without a final render - just needed a break from sculpting for a while and did not do much more in the end.

Proud of all of you guys , though... hope to see everyone back for the next workshop in a couple of months

I'm glad you guys found it useful and thanks to everybody for sharing their tips and tricks
Great job... the highlight thread will be coming shortly

Old 01 January 2008   #428
Yeah, that was great!
I wasn't able to finish in time, but I've learned so much! It was great! Will be back for the next one!

take care people! Awesome work!

Old 01 January 2008   #429
thanks alot glenn and magdalena... -right back at you

-r

Old 02 February 2008   #430
Thanks to Intervain for putting the SPOTLIGHT thread together - it's my fault for not getting it up sooner, so for that, I apologize.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 03 March 2008   #431
Hi there,

I know it is reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaally late to post this, but better late then never. If it wasn't for this Workshop I wouldn't have done this. I was really upset that I didn't have the time to participate of the workshop but then I decided to model this piece anyway later, so if you guys could have a look and tell me what you think, that would be great. It has been posted also in the galleries. There you'll find more views and information about it. Thanks!

The gallery link: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=132&t=609545

Old 03 March 2008   #432
Ralph,

Excellent job
really like the attention ti details esp. the hands and the feet.
& the render is superb
& ya! good thing you decided to take part in the workshop at last
as you said better late than never. hope this workshop was a great learning experience for you as it was for all of us here.

congratulation.

My Sketchbook Threat

Old 06 June 2008   #433
Thumbs up

Wow great work guys. Although I missed the last workshop I will make it next time.

Old 06 June 2008   #434
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread