Jekyll and Hyde bedroom project.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

11 November 2014
Jekyll and Hyde bedroom project.

Hi

This is my first time posting a thread on this forum so I hope I haven't done anything wrong and apologise if I have. My plan is to basically post work in this thread every couple of days for a uni project I am currently working on.

To give you a rough idea what the project is, I am creating two bedrooms with identical furniture etc. One will belong to Dr Jekyll and the other to Mr Hyde. The camera is going to start in Jekyll's room, where it's going to be all nice, neat and tidy, in broad daylight. The camera will then move through the room towards a mirror, that you can see in the images below, and as the camera get's closer to the mirror, the reflection will show Hyde's room. The camera will then eventually go through the mirror completely and end up in Hyde's bedroom. The lighting will change from day to night and the nice, neat and tidy room will turn into a complete mess, with damaged furniture, smashed glass, ripped clothes etc. The rooms are hopefully going to represent their personalities.

So for these first couple of weeks I am going to be concentrating on modelling and UV'ing Jekyll's bedroom, then I will move on to texturing. I figured it would be better to post the work as I go just in case there are any major changes I need to make based off of feedback given here. Instead of just posting an almost finished project right at the end when I have no time to make adjustments. As I'm in my final year I need to drastically improve my skills over the next 6 months before I am out in the big wide world. I am going to make it as photo real as I can and as I haven't really attempted that before, I am going to need all the help I can get I imagine. So please be as honest as you can, I appreciate all of the constructive criticism you can give me and will try to take it all on board.

Unfortunately for this first post I only have a couple AO renders to show you, which isn't very much and not very exciting, so I'm sorry about that. But please bear with me as I will be posting fairly regularly. Also if you have any feedback on the sorts of things you would like to see (wireframes, AO, Beauty renders, etc.) to crit, then please feel free to let me know that as well.

11 November 2014
The modelling looks really good. I pretty much never crit archi work because I am not an expert but this room could be approached like a character. If you take a character and just dress it up it usually looks like cosplay, meaning its best to get under the skin because the window dressing wont have enough power to transform your piece. Its easier to go for the foundation first. I think the room looks nice, but if you tear it up like in your description, you will have a torn up nice room. I would start from the evil Hyde and using some morphs (and textures) transform the evil interior into a standard one. You could have loads of fun with windows and doors.

Just an idea.

11 November 2014
A detailed concept you have there, sounds as if this piece will develop into something with an intriguing good versus evil premise, also your modelling at this early stage is very clean overall.

Will definitely keep an eye on your progress.

Cheers ;)

11 November 2014
Thanks for your responses I really appreciate it.

@Kanga That would have been a really interesting way to go at this project because I see what you mean about having a nice torn up room. I think I've done a bit too much of the nice room to go back now. But hopefully I can destroy it enough to hide the nice side of it.

Here are a couple of renders I have done for one of my submissions at uni. The lighting is also a quick test for what I have in mind for the clean room in daylight. I'm going for a nice sunrise feel. If someone with more experience in lighting has any opinions on how I should do this I would really appreciate it as this isn't my strong point.

11 November 2014
I really like lighting on that room, it doesnt seem realistic, but correct from artistic perspective

11 November 2014
Everything looks great so far. At this point you just need more details, but I suspect you know that. I would add a bunch of props that make sense and some other details, perhaps some decorative ornamental reliefs on sealing. Lighting looks good, but I would go for even bluer shadows to bring out that nice contrast you should have at sunrise time.

reply share thread