ARCTIC MONKEY

portfolio
Lincoln Renall
Concept Artist / Illustrator
concept dude ltd
Christchurch, New Zealand

moonlit lagoon

Hi all
heres a current WIP which has just reached the stage where i am happy with the values at least (seems to work at a greyscale level). am now starting to paint in some detail to the ship etc.
would totally welcome any constructive crits.
plan is to have a small rowboat with a man holding a lantern close to the waterfall, and utilise its reflection on water to pull the eye there. also trying to use the perspective falloff of the ship to direct the eye there as well. thirdly there will be an anchor chain silhouetted by the mist that also drags the eye that direction.
saturation is a slight problem at the moment with all that lush greenery, may have to pull it back, also may be painting the midship horizontal plane where the canons are, as currently the ships a bit too much one tonal range.
anyway, thats the plan, welcome any thoughts though.
cheers
lincoln

Old 11-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
Ackdoh
www.davidluong.net

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
David Luong
Senior Cinematic II Artist
Blizzard Entertainment
Irvine, United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by renall
Hi all
heres a current WIP which has just reached the stage where i am happy with the values at least (seems to work at a greyscale level). am now starting to paint in some detail to the ship etc.
would totally welcome any constructive crits.
plan is to have a small rowboat with a man holding a lantern close to the waterfall, and utilise its reflection on water to pull the eye there. also trying to use the perspective falloff of the ship to direct the eye there as well. thirdly there will be an anchor chain silhouetted by the mist that also drags the eye that direction.
saturation is a slight problem at the moment with all that lush greenery, may have to pull it back, also may be painting the midship horizontal plane where the canons are, as currently the ships a bit too much one tonal range.
anyway, thats the plan, welcome any thoughts though.
cheers
lincoln

Hio Lincoln,

This has some real potential here! The back waterfall area and overall textures in this piece is really nice. The boat is very interesting to look at too. The big thing holding this back is lighting and color. It's a back lit moon light setting, so the boat itself should be more top lit and not as front lit as what we see here. Overall, the color temperature can go more cool, and desaturated. The water can get more of the blue/desat colors so it's not so green. Be sure to not have the highlights in the moon get too bright and clipped past white, pull back on that just a bit and keep the teals out of the moon if you're going more towards blue/violet range in the sky. Keep on going!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Old 12-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
renall
ARCTIC MONKEY

portfolio
Lincoln Renall
concept dude ltd

Hi David
Thanks a lot for all the crits - hugely appreciated, helped to solidify in my mind the path forward on this one.
its kind of a side project that im only able to put an hour or two into every now and then, which is always a bit painful, as each time i start on it, takes half an hour just to get back in the mind-set.
attached shows the original image that i started from, or at least the texture i used as an initial overlay from my greyscale blockin thumbnail.

I kind of wanted to try a day-night conversion, so its already changed a lot, and as you mentioned, sorting out the lighting and saturation etc will be a primary focus.
anyway - back to painting for now, will see how this one progress's.
thanks again :-)
cheers
Lincoln

Old 12-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
ossdigital
portfolio

Really stunning and fabulous. Specially, the overall textures in both art pieces are really nice. Loved it

Old 12-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
renall
ARCTIC MONKEY

portfolio
Lincoln Renall
concept dude ltd

thanks for that ossdigi...
really appreciate the comments :-)
lincoln

Old 12-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
renall
ARCTIC MONKEY

portfolio
Lincoln Renall
concept dude ltd

update

so i had a couple hours spare, so pushed a little further on this one...still some refining to go:
started applying some of davids suggestions which were a help.
still plan to ad some highlights intot the waterfall area near the rowers....also on the leading edge of the right cliff face.
ship refinement only just started, so still trying to get the ship lighting correct....but want the foredeck to be focal, so had to tone down the lights in windows at the rear windows, as that was competing for visual dominance i think.
anyway - comments always appreciated.

heres a closeup on what im starting to flesh out as a focal area:

Old 12-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
shadow92
Environment Artist

portfolio
Adrian Dudak
Bratislava, Slovakia

Hi, I really like it but may I ask a (little bit noobish) question? do you paint it all from a very start or you use some basic 3D meshes and than painting to make it more detailed ? Im really interested in this part of mattepainting, because sometimes it seems to me unreal to paint some sceneries I see over here

Old 12-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
renall
ARCTIC MONKEY

portfolio
Lincoln Renall
concept dude ltd

hi shadow...
this one started as a painted thumbnail sketch....which is a very rough small blockin of shapes of the hills and rough position of the boat etc.
from there, theres a bit of texture overlaying.....like the photo at the start of the thread, where you might see some of the rock and forest texture was sampled and overlayed using various blend modes to the layers.
then the painting starts again...adding finer details to the ship and trying to get a focal area in the scene etc..., trying to not be dictated by the textures but only use them to enhance things....this is pretty key - to try and avoid just pasting images together.....need to only use royalty free images and use them in a way thats not stealing someones work.......just use them as a texture.
this particular scene isnt as refined as some.....and is a little "painterly" or loose in places, like the ship bow area and the men on the rowboat. if this was for film production, then things would change as the level of realism would have to be higher.....also you may find that the geometry such as hills and boat would have been 3d modelled, then the flat painting gets projected onto those surfaces......to give the illusion of realism, especially when the camera moves about.
i hope that makes some sense, its only my crude descriptions, but hope it helps....theres plenty of good tutorial videos about which will explain the process in better detail though.
all the best
lincoln

Old 12-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread