reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #691
mihai112
Maya Generalist

portfolio
Mihai
3dW
Bucharest, Romania

What happened to Autodesk Composite, did they kill that off too?

Old 03-31-2014, 05:27 AM   #692
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

composite is toxik and that is a free download now... and yes its not under development...

Old 03-31-2014, 07:01 AM   #693
mihai112
Maya Generalist

portfolio
Mihai
3dW
Bucharest, Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglu
composite is toxik and that is a free download now... and yes its not under development...

Too bad i mean i've been using it for a couple of years on my personal stuff and for the small comp work i do i don't think i'm going to switch to another, maybe AD will add compositing into Maya, in 2014 if i recall they added a basic comp workflow and hope that will continue.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:24 AM   #694
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

whats the problem with using the free one..?

Old 03-31-2014, 07:39 AM   #695
mihai112
Maya Generalist

portfolio
Mihai
3dW
Bucharest, Romania

Not a huge problem just it wont get the new stuff like Deep Compositing and small annoying things like the fact that Composite(Toxic) crashes when i use a depth pass from Krakatoa( however when i use a depth pass from Fury it works) or doesn't have the ability to export video from it or edit multiple video files in layers like After Effects, i think the last version had the ability to export mov but just doesn't seem as good as Fusion of Nuke.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #696
sciLoop
Expert

portfolio
Burkhard Rammner
bioinformatition
med.uni.goettingen/sciloop
Hamburg, Germany

I went through the Maya2015 docs, searching for one important addition I am waiting now for 3 years.

Let me quote Shawn in 2013:
Quote:
I know it's a bummer not to have support for containers

He was talking about the nodeEditor.
And its still not implemented in Maya2015 .

Old 04-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #697
LinchpinZA
Know-it-All

portfolio
Christopher James Ford
CG Generalist / Shader Artist
TX MOTIONMEDIA
Johannesburg, South Africa

Damn, yeah the idea of the node editor is cool but in practice..
I still have to bounce back to the hypershade, hypergraph etc. for certain things.
I'm disappointed to hear it still isn't fully fledged for 2015 :/

Old 04-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #698
willanie
Frequenter
portfolio
Will Anielewicz
Fairfax, USA

linear workflow ... color management ????
-color managed texture material nodes
-color managed picker swatches
-color managed fluids shading
-color management in viewport not just renderview
-maya software color management

Old 04-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #699
sciLoop
Expert

portfolio
Burkhard Rammner
bioinformatition
med.uni.goettingen/sciloop
Hamburg, Germany

mmmh... I didn`t want to start looking at Maya2015 with that frustration.
What makes me smile is that we finally get the API version of 'removeMultiInstance' : )))

( maybe in some free time I will check if its really faster than the command )

Old 04-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #700
PerfectLine
Expert

Casey C Benn
USA

You know, I made a list in this thread earlier about how many little things (just fixes) not even new features that would be huge as far as maya improvement overall but..

I seriously must reiterate how slow and chunky slow Maya has been since QT was added.

Even moderately sized scenes just constantly make me wait on the UI. Maya 2009 was much more responsive in this regard.

I'd say reprogram QT or any part of the UI to not worry about refreshing all the dang windows and gizmos while I want to click on a certain part of the UI. If I am trying to grab anything in the 3d viewport make the rest of the app refresh wait until I am finished clicking around.

Seriously. I've been using apps since 1995. All of them. Maya was the ultimate light weight app. It was like having a 3d version of notepad. Now its so slow and sluggish. I could care less about the nice UI additions. I;d take back the old pre QT UI anyday if it mean the marking menus would actually appear as fast as they used to. Or just clicking around was instant most of the time.

Can we get the UI multithreaded? Or give the priority to the user clicking based on where the mouse pointer is and allow any and all other redraws to wait while the user is cloicking around?

Seriously. I spend a good 1/5th of the day waiting on maya to unfreeze even on moderately sized scenes. I don't use very many references and often aren't even doing huge polycount scenes.

This is across multiple computer types and videocard setups at multiple locations. So its not something one can just explain as being ran on a single non-optimized setup.

UI refresh speed / live interactivity is so much more important to me than any other NEW feature. Optimizing the app to stay usable instead of having to wait on all little windows and items to refresh is my highest priority and need. I will create a camtasia of my workflow in 2009 and any 2011+ maya and you will see what I mean.

Being able to continue working is way more important than having this really overly complex UI that I have to wait on. If you have a copy of maya 2009 and any 2011+ open up the old maya 2009 and try the shift+RMB modeling menu and then try it in Maya 2011. It used to feel like a gesture system. Now I have to wait for it to catch up to me.

Last edited by PerfectLine : 04-11-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #701
PerfectLine
Expert

Casey C Benn
USA

UV chooser?

UV chooser.

I think Maya should just move the UV chooser from a single added node to an extra attribute in the p2d node. Just make a drop down menu there choosing which uv set to use.

This would remove the need to open up the relationship editor and have to click around in there. Its all very clicky.

In softimage, max, lightwave, whatever, you just pick the UV set on the same node that the image placement is. I would say add an item to the right click menu when you are over the image(file) node or the 2dplacement node in hypershade, this would then show a drop down list of the UVsets and it would be a one click solution to choose UV set in the hypershade window instead of having to click around in the relationship editor.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #702
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectLine
You know, I made a list in this thread earlier about how many little things (just fixes) not even new features that would be huge as far as maya improvement overall but..

I seriously must reiterate how slow and chunky slow Maya has been since QT was added.

Even moderately sized scenes just constantly make me wait on the UI. Maya 2009 was much more responsive in this regard.

I'd say reprogram QT or any part of the UI to not worry about refreshing all the dang windows and gizmos while I want to click on a certain part of the UI. If I am trying to grab anything in the 3d viewport make the rest of the app refresh wait until I am finished clicking around.

Seriously. I've been using apps since 1995. All of them. Maya was the ultimate light weight app. It was like having a 3d version of notepad. Now its so slow and sluggish. I could care less about the nice UI additions. I;d take back the old pre QT UI anyday if it mean the marking menus would actually appear as fast as they used to. Or just clicking around was instant most of the time.

Can we get the UI multithreaded? Or give the priority to the user clicking based on where the mouse pointer is and allow any and all other redraws to wait while the user is cloicking around?

Seriously. I spend a good 1/5th of the day waiting on maya to unfreeze even on moderately sized scenes. I don't use very many references and often aren't even doing huge polycount scenes.

This is across multiple computer types and videocard setups at multiple locations. So its not something one can just explain as being ran on a single non-optimized setup.

UI refresh speed / live interactivity is so much more important to me than any other NEW feature. Optimizing the app to stay usable instead of having to wait on all little windows and items to refresh is my highest priority and need. I will create a camtasia of my workflow in 2009 and any 2011+ maya and you will see what I mean.

Being able to continue working is way more important than having this really overly complex UI that I have to wait on. If you have a copy of maya 2009 and any 2011+ open up the old maya 2009 and try the shift+RMB modeling menu and then try it in Maya 2011. It used to feel like a gesture system. Now I have to wait for it to catch up to me.

Maya 2014 is perfectly snappy on my end both at work and at home. I have some pretty complex scenes loaded right now and marking menus are instant. I think you have some rose tinted glasses going on if you think pre 2009 maya UI is faster than it is now and I have been using maya since v3.

What is your gfx card/system?

Old 04-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #703
vux
Veteran
portfolio
Alexey
Belaya Tserkov, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectLine

there are many people who think that Qt-maya faster than non-Qt. 2011 was first Qt version and has many excess widget layers. For me Maya 2014 (at least linux version) has a good ui responsivenes. Work with maya from 4.0th version

Old 04-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #704
vux
Veteran
portfolio
Alexey
Belaya Tserkov, Ukraine

and certainly don`t use amd graphics with maya

Old 04-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #705
EduardoMC
Scout
portfolio
Eduardo
USA

The only slowdown I suffer in the Maya interface is when selecting from the viewport a high resolution mesh (2-10million faces). I think it is because Maya calculates the "ray" from the mouse click to the geometry (I don't know the technical terms :P ). If they would speed that up I would have 0 complaints in terms of UI speed.

If you select it from the outliner or from the layer stack it is a non issue, though. This is running on a 12-threaded 4930k with 32GB DDR3 and usually a gaming card under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

reply share thread