Old 03-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #166
ClassRed
Classified
portfolio
Doug Cotterill
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsten hartmann
at 3dsmax2013 can you use SSS 2, and at the future comes all Materials in MILA-Technology. MILA-SSS works at this time and donīt need precalculation. The rending start immediately.

Thanks very much, I'll look into this.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #167
thorsten hartmann
hot chip

Thorsten Hartmann
3D Artist
infinity vision
Berlin, Germany

hi raymarcher,

thanks for the nice comment. You are right, but what can a write for VRay It give so many cool Script that do the same as my scripts, but for Vray, and i canīt let down the mental ray community.

Last edited by thorsten hartmann : 03-29-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #168
Zeddicus
Nothing is ever easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRandom
Is it just me or does the bitch fest get bigger every year?

It probably does, but that's to be expected when a lot of users are still disappointed with last years release (and the year before that too for some of them). Actually I think the entire suite is being seen as fairly lackluster this year, which given all the time and money involved really shouldn't have happened.

People expect a better return on a investment like Max and it's hard to blame them for that given the costs involved. A big part of the problem is management I think, and I kind of feel sorry for the people whom actually labor on these products. I'm sure they have a much better idea of what needs to be done and are more than willing to do it, but have their hands tied by leaders who don't really understand the field of VFX or it's challenges. For them it's about making the shareholders happy and that is really the only thing expected of them most likely (maximum profit with minimum expenditure).

It also doesn't help when these disgruntled users demand an answer to perfectly reasonable questions, only to have someone from Autodesk hide behind the excuse of an NDA again and again. Thankfully Autodesk, despite their belief no doubt, do not have a stranglehold on the CG market and users are free to move on to better things so long as they don't mind the disruption this causes.

By the way I agree that it is great how plugins will continue to work in 2014. The down side is that it also shows us just how little was changed in Max this year.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #169
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddicus
By the way I agree that it is great how plugins will continue to work in 2014. The down side is that it also shows us just how little was changed in Max this year.

This is actually the best describtion of the problem Autodesk is facing with their public community: You describe a simple scenario of positive/negative and immediatly zeroise the positive/benefit with some hypothetical proof that so little has changed. Plugins still compatible is a great benefit in my eyes and many things have been touched in the inside.
You will see better performance in many modifiers and that really shows as soon as you start to work with Max2014. I know that when it's out, the hell will break loose, because everyone got different expectations and work scenarios, but i think this release is one of the stablest and best performing releases since the good old days of non-ribbon/non-Microsoft Appframe times ( what would be going back at least 3-4 releases ).
I think Autodesk now is getting the payback for it's ridiculous pricing decisions ( subscription raises, upgrade raises and tightenings etc.. ). The product itself (Max 2014), while i would see more focus on character animation, motion graphics etc.. is IMHO really good. But well, i don't know how stable it will be and what unknown bugs will arise when the whole load of users start to put it through their production treatmills.

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 03-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #170
Rawalanche
Senior Noob

portfolio
Ludvik Koutny
3D Generalist
Prague, Czech Republic

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterZap
True. I would welcome a compelling case for adding them [would help me lobby for adding them internally]. Do you have samples where you see a clear benefit of using these?
/Z

In order for IP to be attractive enough to be implemented, two major bugs would have to be fixed:

1, Irradiance particles are not capable of interaction with specular component of material, especially in case of refraction, this is a dealbreaker as a glass planes in windows make your room completely black.

2, Irradiance particle collection is extremely slow and inefficient for some reason. With the power of modern day GPUs, i struggle to believe that collection of any irradiance data, no matter how the containing entities are implemented, would take THAT long. Especially when there are times during IP precalc phase where my CPU runs on 8-10% of it's capacity.

Now we all know that nVidia is a company selling GPUs, so their main intention is to sell as many GPUs as possible, and if they started to make a good efficient CPU renderer, they would be against themselves. They just need to find the way to make it's death look natural, so studios still using it in their pipeline do not get angry and ragequit before having chance to try their GPU based solution. But mental ray died the day MI was acquired by nVidia.

What's even worse, is that i do not see any breakthroughs in development of their GPU rendering technology (iRay) either. Every mediocre GPU renderer on the market performs better than GPU renderer from a company that makes high end computing GPUs and developed CUDA. What an irony...

Last edited by Rawalanche : 03-30-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #171
raymarcher
PRO
portfolio
Frederik De%2BMaere
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawalanche
In order for IP to be attractive enough to be implemented, two major bugs would have to be fixed:

1, Irradiance particles are not capable of interaction with specular component of material, especially in case of refraction, this is a dealbreaker as a glass planes in windows make your room completely black.

2, Irradiance particle collection is extremely slow and inefficient for some reason. With the power of modern day GPUs, i struggle to believe that collection of any irradiance data, no matter how the containing entities are implemented, would take THAT long. Especially when there are times during IP precalc phase where my CPU runs on 8-10% of it's capacity.

Now we all know that nVidia is a company selling GPUs, so their main intention is to sell as many GPUs as possible, and if they started to make a good efficient CPU renderer, they would be against themselves. They just need to find the way to make it's death look natural, so studios still using it in their pipeline do not get angry and ragequit before having chance to try their GPU based solution. But mental ray died the day MI was acquired by nVidia.

What's even worse, is that i do not see any breakthroughs in development of their GPU rendering technology (iRay) either. Every mediocre GPU renderer on the market performs better than GPU renderer from a company that makes high end computing GPUs and developed CUDA. What an irony...

Autodesk recently bought PI-VR, now they have acces to their own gpu raytracer. Probably because his makes them less dependable on a big external company like Nvidia. It could be a matter of time before iRay is ditched or put on 'maintainance'.

http://solidsmack.com/cad-design-ne...yeball-melting/

Old 03-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #172
thorsten hartmann
hot chip

Thorsten Hartmann
3D Artist
infinity vision
Berlin, Germany

ok it is true that irradiance Particle is not Bug free, but what is Bug Free? I have learn, if i publish the secrets (no NDA Infos) functions of mental ray for the mr community, give it a move from Autodesk. Look MetaSL, at the beginning of MetaSL give it no AO or other optimizing options. I have optimizing the Shaders to TH-Materials and now give it AO in Autodesk Materials (MetaSL). Not all is perfect, but i want no limits and a better overvew.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #173
Rawalanche
Senior Noob

portfolio
Ludvik Koutny
3D Generalist
Prague, Czech Republic

Feature being bugged and feature being unfinished are two very distinct states. IPs are not bugged, they are simply not finished, so it is quite logical step from AD to not implement it.

It has potential to be good once it is finished, but it would be against nVidia's best interest to do so, because if they made a good CPU renderer, then they would lose a good GPU rendering deals (GPU sales) with big players in the future. Making a good, strong and robust CPU renderer would not only harm their GPU sales, but also boost sales of their competitors, such as Intel, which holds the crown in sales when it comes to CPU rendering.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #174
MichaelWBell
Michael Wentworth-Bell

portfolio
Michael Wentworth-Bell
Motion Graphics / 3D Artist
Reel Pictures
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by boumay
The video is private, how can we see it please?

The original 'Sneak peek: populate user example' was made a private around a month ago. I'm now able to share an updated version of the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk21s-175nU

The video includes the Populate feature, Nitrous Viewport improvements and the 2D Pan and Zoom tool.

My Folio website
LODE Facebook page

Old 04-11-2013, 01:50 AM   #175
JohnnyRandom
Configurator

portfolio
John Rand
still wandering the binary void
salt lake city, USA

Nice "thinking-outside-the-box" implementation

Old 04-11-2013, 01:50 AM   #176
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread