Old 10-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
joeraynor
portfolio
d
d, USA

Techniques for dividing and seaming large scale terrain

Hell forums,

This is my debut post!

I have registered to ask this question; I have searched the forums, but haven't seen this exact concept explored; I am sure it has been asked and answered a few times though.

Ok, so the idea is I am attempting to create a wold that is around 8x8 kilometers square.

Now I have done character and architectural design in the past, but terrain is fairly new to me, so I need to get the workflow down.

I intend to work in mudbox, world machine, and gimp primarily, and export from max and/or blender.

My idea is to sclupt a plane in mudbox that will generate a general heightmap for the whole world's topogaphy. Then I need to somehow divide that general map into units small enough to fine sculpt in mudbox and import into world machine in order to add things like erosion and slope based texture maps/ flow maps, so I can export maps from there.

Now how do I divide this massive landmass into chunks that are of workable scale? "workable" to me would probably mean half a kilometer wide. Is it best to divide them on a grid system, or along some other lines of demarcation? And when I make the divisions, do I give each divided unit its own UV and maps? If they have their own individual UVs, how do I make it so that there aren't clear seams where two UV-mapped textures meet at edges? And even more importantly, since world machine also effects heightmapping and displacement mapping, if I divided along a grid, won't two units which are adjacent but worked on separately not line up at their edges?

If anyone has information or resources that clearly and directly address these issues related to large scale world division, I would be very glad!

Old 10-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread