Sci-fi corridor environment

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #16
Hi I really like the style of it. In my opinion, you could go a little heavier with the plants. btw nice idea with the ceramic material. How are you doing the texturing? maybe you could refer to some jungle pics to get the look of the vines. Looking the forward to seeing the result!

Old 10 October 2013   #17
Good point, I'll go a bit heavier with the plants although the credibility of plants springing up out of metal is a little unlikely. Perhaps I need to show some dirt or soil around...

Texturing is being done in Photoshop. I UV unwrap the various objects, bring the 2D file into Photoshop and begin work. The ceramic look comes from the material properties in Studio Max.

Old 11 November 2013   #18
I had a fresh look at the image and wasn't very happy So, I had another attempt at lighting this scene and tried to make the camera view a little more exciting. It's more 'sci-fi' now with cool glowing lights etc.

(I don't want to abandon the plant life, that will be brought in later)

What do people think about this different look? It's a bit of a departure from the previous version.

Composition is so much better if nothing else. There's actually a centre of interest now (the orange corner light).

Last edited by Miked08 : 11 November 2013 at 01:54 PM.

Old 11 November 2013   #19
Hey!

I actually like the new composition better!! Definitively has more of a sci-fi into it

Old 11 November 2013   #20
Good look, but as I mention before, you need to make the corners less 'sharp', as it give a low poly feel. Adding rounds/chamfer should be too hard on most modeling package I suppose. Its fairly easy in maya, at least. Also why not use normal map or something to give a bit of roughen look on the walls & pillars.

Old 11 November 2013   #21
I like both themes. The dark one definatly looks sci fi and the daytime one gives a post apoc feel. The dark theme would benefit greatly from a little bit of fog coming out of vents and such.

Looking great!

Old 11 November 2013   #22

Almost there I think. Still needs fog to be placed painted in as Ginyuman suggested - really great suggestion as it will allow me to create areas of visual rest in the image.

I intend to painstakingly go around the image in Photoshop in order to chamfer metal corners. Also, it would be nice to add some graphic decals as I have on one of the panels - I did that in Photoshop (then distorted on) and it's pretty quick to do.

Old 11 November 2013   #23
wow, it coming around great! the added plantation really adds a lot of life. maybe add run a depth pass as well? Have you considered to make a short animation of the camera?

I expect it to look awesome with fog as well.

glad i could help

-G

Old 11 November 2013   #24
YOu know there is a 'round corner' material in Mental ray right. Just appply this as a composite shader (you can define the radius of the round), & you have round at the corners (it only give away at the corners, not unlike normal maps).

http://www.mrbluesummers.com/wp-con...ers-example.jpg

Totally painless. I cannot understand why you want to manually edit the sharpe edges in photoshop, when there is a better, simple solution.

Old 11 November 2013   #25
Originally Posted by PKD: YOu know there is a 'round corner' material in Mental ray right. Just appply this as a composite shader (you can define the radius of the round), & you have round at the corners (it only give away at the corners, not unlike normal maps).

http://www.mrbluesummers.com/wp-con...ers-example.jpg

Totally painless. I cannot understand why you want to manually edit the sharpe edges in photoshop, when there is a better, simple solution.

I wish Vray had this option. I know you can use vray edges texture in the bump slot, but its pretty limited.

Old 11 November 2013   #26
Alright, I shall call this image done now.

It's not outstanding but the primary aim was for me to improve my knowledge of materials in Studio Max and also figure how bump/spec maps really work. I learnt loads!

Thank you for all the comments. I still have a lot to learn. Thanks for mentioning the rounded corners thing PKD, I will try and implement that trick sometime in the future.

A 3k wide render can be viewed right here

Old 11 November 2013   #27
That 3k render looks awesome I must say.

I especially like the rusty iron bar. I think you really succeeded with the whole thing. good job.

Can I ask ask how long it took to make this scene?

- G

Old 11 November 2013   #28
Originally Posted by Miked08:

Personally, I like this one the most. Very realistic, and somehow lighting looks very believable. Also colors are very subtle.

Old 11 November 2013   #29
I tried to work out how long this image took and thought it might be quite interesting if I broke down all the stages

- quick concept sketch on paper with biro. 10 mins
- digital concept sketch - 10 hrs
- Block modelling scene - 4 hrs
- detail modelling - 3 hrs
- uv unwrapping - 6 hrs
- lighting the scene - 10 hrs (I relit the scene about 6 times...)
- learning (partially) the arch&design mental ray material - 3 hrs
- Texturing - 20 hrs
- adding in more detail like ivy, grass, pebbles etc... 2hrs
- change of direction (relighting scene again, new camera position) - 10hrs
- final 6k wide render - 7 hrs (not included in total)
- Photoshop work like smoke and levels/colour adjustments - 2 hrs

In total about 70 hours. It's interesting doing this breakdown as I can see where I wasted time i.e. the lighting and composition.

Old 11 November 2013   #30
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread