Mudbox 2014

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #31
Originally Posted by fuss: I remember when Mudbox was first announced, it was supposed to be the ZBrush killer. If I recall correctly, the main drive of the developer(s) was their frustration with missing features in ZBrush or something along those lines. About a year or two later they sold to Autodesk, and the rest ist just history (quite literally)... I think I have a new motto for Autodesk:

AUTODESK

Where DCC software goes to die
(a slow and painful death)

I remember Mudbox 1.x... Those Skymatter guys were great. They even did refunds (though I forever felt bad about it after that).

Old 03 March 2013   #32
Originally Posted by oglu: there are no uvs at all...
the auto retopo dont creates uvs and the reducing feature dont preserve uvs...
the workflow would be to create uvs outside of mud or use ptex...

Thanks. Pity. Not much use for games then. Did they even ask? Not everyone works in film. Every single poly needs uvs in games. Guess we'll still be doing the bulk of this in max.

Old 03 March 2013   #33
there are new poly reducing tools in maya... they work for game stuff...

i hav no idea how a auto retopo should work with uv preserve... its a total new geo...
and if the underlying geo has uvs the new geo would have to match the uv seams... that wont work at all... and its creating an even quad geo... thats also not optimal for games...

added it to the ideas page...
http://mudboxfeedback.autodesk.com/...for-reduce-mesh

Last edited by oglu : 03 March 2013 at 07:31 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #34
Original comments deleted - already addressed by others in a past thread.

Last edited by eworc : 03 March 2013 at 09:03 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #35
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: I don't see why people complain about zbrush's UI either because once you spend 10 minutes setting it up the way you want to work it is very fast to work with.

Have to disagree with you, I tried so many times to get into the zbrush interface but just can't. So it's mudbox for me. Glad it works for you, but for a lot of us, it's not just a matter of getting used to it, for many of us the interface remains a constant annoyance no matter how much we use it.

- Neil

Old 03 March 2013   #36
Quote: Have to disagree with you, I tried so many times to get into the zbrush interface but just can't. So it's mudbox for me. Glad it works for you, but for a lot of us, it's not just a matter of getting used to it, for many of us the interface remains a constant annoyance no matter how much we use it.

Same here with Modo.

Old 03 March 2013   #37
Quote: I remember Mudbox 1.x... Those Skymatter guys were great. They even did refunds (though I forever felt bad about it after that).

same here, picked up the 300 dollar version at the time.

Old 03 March 2013   #38
Originally Posted by Ballo: Same here with Modo.

Same here with Blender. The fact of the matter is that for every interface one person hates, there is another who loves it.

Old 03 March 2013   #39
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread