Building fast rendering machine

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Post Building fast rendering machine

Hi,

I'm about to build a very fast rendering machine. What kind of parts do you recommend or is the attached list pretty good setup? I'm using 3dsmax 2013 and V-Ray 2.0 at this moment and the rendering type is OpenCL. There is also has been idea if I'd move to use Cuda rendering - then good choice is Nvidia Quadro 6000? Thank you so much in advance.

Live rendering sounds very cool, but what do you recommend for smooth and almost maximum speed? Or is it better to build couple, maybe 2-3 lower specs computers for rendering?

• Rendering machine specs:

1 x Asus Z9PE-D8 WS Intel C602 LGA2011 ATX
    2 x Intel Xeon E5-2687W prosessor LGA2011 (total cores 16)
    8 x Kingston ValueRAM 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ECC CL11 DR x4 w/TS Hynix C (total ram 64gb)
    1 x Corsair AX1200i Platinum Series Gold 1200w ATX-power
    2 x Corsair Cooling Hydro H100i Extreme prosessor cooling
    1 x Asus GTX680-DC2O-2GD5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX680 OC 2048 MB
    1 x ATX full tower, undefined model?

Budget for the package is about +- 8000,00 eur.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
For Euro8000 I'd say two systems is better for working/rendering. I've only recently added a node to my setup and I'm happy with the setup. No more sitting and waiting forever for my workstation to become free.

I put an 8 core processor and 16GB RAM in my node, kept 6-core in the workstation with 32GB RAM.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
can you clarify rendering?

do you mean actual CPU based for like DBR or GPU?...

I'm just curious cause you put in the Quadro in.. and it is different type of rendering.

Old 02 February 2013   #4
IMO right now and for about a year now, nothing beats bang the buck like 3930k i7 systems, especially if overclocked.

It'll depend on your specific needs and what your typical renders are as far as how well they utilize multiple CPU cores or what your software licensing is as far as rendering.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread