Projecting Detail on Low Poly Mesh?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2011   #1
Projecting Detail on Low Poly Mesh?

What is the best way to project details from a high poly character sculpt that uses multiple subtools onto a low poly mesh?

I am at the "pulling my hair out stage" of trying to figure this out. I have a high poly (9 million) character sculpt made up of three subtools. The first is the upperbody and shirt sculpt including the head, the second is the pants and the third is the pants back pockets. I have tried two methods, 1st being to use "project all" in the subtools menu. I brought in the original low poly mesh that I subdivided when I started the sculpt, and am using this to project the detail. I loaded all of the subtools from the high poly mesh separately using "append" to the low poly, then one at a time used "project all" under subtools to project the detail. This works pretty good for the top subtool and the pants subtool. ( I say pretty good and not great because it is a little inaccurate where the two meet, but that is probably because the mesh is not an exact retopo) I have also tried merging all subtools and projecting as one mesh but that resulted in the pants not projecting at all. The main issue here is when I try to project the back pockets subtool, the result is terrible.

Video of this method:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=140&t=1013816

The second method I have tried is to use a zsphere with the high poly, using the Rigging menu. Then I go under Topology and select the low poly mesh. Then I go to adaptive skin and hit preview and Zbrush crashes because it can't divide the mesh because of the polycount. This confuses me because I thought it is supposed to subdivide the low poly mesh and not the high poly, but I guess I am not doing something correct. This method has worked for me before using pretty low poly meshes. I tried using Decimation Master and decreased to 4 million polys and tried this method with the same crashing result.

Video of this method:
http://www.alexandervonsass.com/projectingtut/

I am having better luck with the first method, but I am still not getting acceptable results. I am not sure, but it could be because the top half of the character subtool is not a mesh extraction, and was sculpted from scratch, while the bottom two are mesh extractions? Sorry about the long post, if anybody knows a good way to project details from such a high poly mesh that contains multiple subtools onto a low poly mesh I would really appreciate it. I also would like to note that I am trying to reserve the subdivision levels, which both of these methods are "supposed" to do that if they work correctly. Thanks for your time, I hope somebody can help!

Images: Back1 is how the mesh should look with all three subtools projected, however only the upper and pants subtools are projected. Back2 is what happens when the back pockets subtool is projected.

Old 10 October 2011   #2
i posted some projection tuts here http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/zbrush
the website is full of ads that will slow you down and the video size don't play like they used to, not my fault,,,,,,, let me see the ZTL your trying.
you can private message the file and ill see what i can do about posting a video tut.

my guess is your going to still need to cut that model into parts because of the polygon file size,
in other words if the hole thing has to many polygons cut the model into parts, the upper half and the lower half, this way when you project it you can cut down the polygon projection

Last edited by EZBrush : 10 October 2011 at 05:35 AM.

Old 05 May 2012   #3
Re-Typology problem:holes with artifacts in adaptive skin preview zbrush

Hi I'm new to this forum. I don't understand how i can start my own thread with a question, so I want to ask a question on this thread in hope that someone will be able to help me.

I am re-typologizising a characters head with 7 sub levels. I imported a version of sub level 1 for the typology and I am well into fixing up the bad geometry.

I preview the mesh in adaptive skin mode and there were a lot of artifact and holes in the mesh.
I don't understand why this happens the mesh seems to be symmetrical.
Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

here are some images of my model:

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/...&current=p2.jpg

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm46/terryvasquez/?action=view&current=p2.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs293.p hotobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fmm46%2Fterryvasquez%2F%3 Faction%3Dview%26current%3Dp1.jpg

Old 05 May 2012   #4
Originally Posted by TerryComolli:
I preview the mesh in adaptive skin mode and there were a lot of artifact and holes in the mesh.
I don't understand why this happens the mesh seems to be symmetrical.
Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

i think the problem is when you retopo the edge lines are to far apart and causes holes when previewing,
either add a edge or move the edges so there kind of evenly spaced,
problem with adding a edge you have to do it all around the model

Old 06 June 2012   #5
Talking holes in mesh and artifacts

When I have come across this problem, it was due to extra edges and points that are not obvious , I had to zoom in and check out problem areas. Move points or edges and look for hidden points or edges next to problem area, delete extra points and edges,snap points back, hope this helps!

Old 06 June 2012   #6
Originally Posted by CGSculptor: What is the best way to project details from a high poly character sculpt that uses multiple subtools onto a low poly mesh?

the best way is subdivide your low polymesh which will all so give you high and low subdivision,
what you want to do is subdivide your low polymesh the same or higher then your high poly character,
the reason why is it project to the nearest point from your low mesh to your high mesh.
its based on connecting points from 1 mesh to the other mesh points and if you dont have some what of the same points between both meshes they wont project very well,
if you look at the video he sets the adaptive skin density up to 5 which is like subdividing the mesh.

you can transfer polypaint with out needing to do this, depends what your trying
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=140&t=1056835

Last edited by informerman : 06 June 2012 at 04:50 AM.

Old 06 June 2012   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread