Imagination portrait - All feedback welcome!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
Imagination portrait - All feedback welcome!

Good day everyone, I have recently produced this portrait,  the image is now completed, but I want to gather whatever feedback this garners and implement it on my next portrait. The specific goal was to reproduce the mood of a 17th-18th century military portrait in this form-imagination painting, first, reference:

My portrait "The admiral"

The first issues I observe as when compared to the reference, is the lack of saturation in my attempt, my image is also quite middle key, lacking enough variety and contrast of values,specially between subject and background. I tried to introduce some edgework, but ended up a bit muddy with my application of paint overall. However, the edges in the face, specially on the cheekbones are a bit too firm, speciall considering I wanted to portray a female. The proporitons of the skull might be a little bit too large, and finally the way I have rendered the eyes makes it quite flat. I realized that a fair bit during the painting but I was uable to get rid of that sensation completely and would love some pointers towards keeping the eye loose yet realistic. 

I would appreciate it if you guys let me knoww hat is it that I missed, and any feedback overall, thanks!

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
If you are trying to do a realistic portrait of a character, you really need to have photo references or a real person (life model) in the exact angle/lighting/costume you're trying to depict. Trying to fake it on your own when you're not advanced enough as an artist will only result in something that looks awkward. Using a reference only for the general costume design is not going to be enough. The artist who painted that portrait had the real person sitting there, which is what allowed that level of realism.

I agree with all the stuff you pointed out.

The face looks incoherent because you have areas that look like you're trying to paint a profile angle, and other areas that look like you're trying to turn the face slightly towards the viewer (the philtrum and the eye). 

You have way too many soft edges and not nearly enough detail to create the kind of look as that reference portrait. 

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Thank you very much for your input Lunatique! You are right. I wanted to try this directly (or semi-directly) from imagination to test where I am at the moment, and you are right, I still very much require the use of reference and more practice. I do have some photography skills and equipment  that I make use of for creating reference, so it is somethign I will definitely continue to use. Today I painted a self portrait with some ref, and it went way better. I am also rather new to the world of color, but I will get there, eventually.

I will also try to be much more coherent with my planes the next time, and try to get more firm edges in as to not muddy everything up (alredy applied to today's self portrait, which I might post soon, if you want to take a look) . Also I did not know what the philtrum was, but thanks to you now I kow what to call...well the philtrum haha. Again, thank you  for your time!

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Thank you very much for your input Lunatique! You are right. I wanted to try this directly (or semi-directly) from imagination to test where I am at the moment, and you are right, I still very much require the use of reference and more practice. I do have some photography skills and equipment  that I make use of for creating reference, so it is somethign I will definitely continue to use. Today I painted a self portrait with some ref, and it went way better. I am also rather new to the world of color, but I will get there, eventually.

I will also try to be much more coherent with my planes the next time, and try to get more firm edges in as to not muddy everything up (alredy applied to today's self portrait, which I might post soon, if you want to take a look) . Also I did not know what the philtrum was, but thanks to you now I kow what to call...well the philtrum haha. Again, thank you  for your time!

reply share thread