Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Icbim
portfolio
Ryan
Burlington, USA

"Interesting" game terrain workflow?

Hello,

I'm looking to find out the process involved in creating interesting and unique environments for a game terrain. I understand that a game terrain can be built with a game engine's terrain editor, granted it comes package with one, but that isn't quite what i'm looking for. What i'm looking to create are oddly shaped terrains with interesting curvature/plateaus, which is something a game engine terrain editor can't really accomplish.

I think overall i'm just confused about the workflow of it all, and was hoping somebody would be able to enlighten me on the process of how an interesting game environment is structured, or perhaps point me in the right direction towards good learning material.
Things i'm confused about on the topic would be is it all sculpted out of a flat plane in a program like maya, or are the objects such as mountains all created separately and placed on a scultped terrain? How is it all textured, through poly/vert painting or are the assets split up and individually UV mapped/textured? How do the terrain and texture of the terrain get exported, if say the terrain is painted within an outside 3D modelling program.
I think texturing the terrain is the thing i'm most confused about, as i'm used to texturing small things. I'm mostly worried about texture stretching.

I've searched high and low for tutorials on the internet regarding this topic, but every single terrain tutorial involves creating plain old hills on a flat plane, which isn't really what i'm looking for.
Also, just wanted to let anybody writing a response to this topic know that i'm fairly experienced with Maya and have used it to make various game scene objects from trees to houses, and even characters, but something as big as a terrain is something I've yet to really figure out. I'm not asking for a report or anything, i'm just hoping somebody might would be able to give me a general idea on how the workflow behind building these types of terrains might go so I can stop staring at Maya and get some work done for a change. :P

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Have you seen this one?

LINK

Old 10-06-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
alienretro
Veteran
portfolio
Nicholas Amorim
Dublin, Ireland

You can use Vue to generate the terrain itself, you can blend several terrain fractals and use filters like strata or voronoi, then export the heightmap to World Machine to work on erosion. World Machine works beautifully on giving the proper realistic look to your scene, its erosion algorithm rocks. Now you can just export the heightmap to the game engine of your choice.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:45 AM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread