Old 12-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #167
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

^ Thanks bro,

Wallpaper size images can be found here.

Merry Christmas in English
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8363/...57e82c08a_h.jpg

Feliz Natal (Portuguese)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8502/...5e29d50a5_h.jpg

No text
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8213/...5492ed28f_h.jpg

Frohe Weihnachten (German)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8214/...88107a174_h.jpg

(Chinese)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8492/...61a77fdc3_h.jpg

I can make it in other languages by request, otherwise, just use the No text image to add your own greeting. Cheers.

I have submitted the image in the portfolio (a little disappointed at the low file size limit result in poor quality), & call it a day, & importantly I have send the image to all my friends (damn big list). Thanks everyone that have view this thread, & more thanks to everyone that have drop a note or 2, to help me improve, as well as word of encouragements to make me think its all worth it.

I have take a well deserve break now, & think about my next project, but for sure, I will post my WIP here again. Stay tuned!

Last edited by PKD : 12-22-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #168
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Hmm, I have submitted the image for consideration for 3D still, but haven"t seen the image either in the gallery, or receive an email or Pm that the work is rejected, or maybe I forgot to check the submit box?

A little sad, as I hope to shared this image for Christmas to the community, but I guess the golden time have passed. Oh well. But at least all my friends receive my greeting cards in their email.

but I am on holidays now in Brussels now, & will give proper credit to everyone that had helped me along the way. I was hoping to do a proper one in the finished gallery but since it never came, I gonna do it here, after new year when I am back home, as I have limited internet access here.

Cheers, & happy new year everyone.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #169
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

You didn't submit the image to the gallery forum, you just added it to your portfolio. Having said that, I'd say your image still needs a bit of work, particularly on the lighting and shaders, as it looks a little dead, in terms of the tones you're using. Images with children need to be carefully done if you're wanting a very positive feeling from it, and bearing that in mind I think your image needs to feel warmer - I realise this is a winter scene, but it's still possible to make a winter image that has a warm cosy feeling. CG kids need to look radiant and glowy, which is why Pixar kids, in particular, look so appealing.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #170
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
You didn't submit the image to the gallery forum, you just added it to your portfolio. Having said that, I'd say your image still needs a bit of work, particularly on the lighting and shaders, as it looks a little dead, in terms of the tones you're using. Images with children need to be carefully done if you're wanting a very positive feeling from it, and bearing that in mind I think your image needs to feel warmer - I realise this is a winter scene, but it's still possible to make a winter image that has a warm cosy feeling. CG kids need to look radiant and glowy, which is why Pixar kids, in particular, look so appealing.

I have multiple feedbacks, some said the image needs to be warmer, some said cooler. I personally think that Christmas image each one of us have in mind is a little different, so I went for a middle ground, & tune it, after also looking at many Christmas greeting cards, at least the ones sold in my little town. Even if you look at Christmas cards, you see differences, some are very bluish, some warm, & some you know from a "real world" perspective the lights are not realistic, but it looks great as a Christmas card.

The tones are also hard, I can make it a little more realistic, but then it will lose the painterly, Christmas card look. Its hard to find an optimum solution, Too much lights & more details & stuff, it can look too busy. Less objects in scene, maybe too plain. This is my first attempted at a Christmas image, so I am learning. One day I will wake up &, too much stuff going on, another day, too little, should I add more? I am bad, that's why I am here & create this thread, so people more knowledgeable can help me.

By the way, what do you mean radient & glowy, & how you suggest I can improve? I am all ears. You know, when you worked too long on something you start losing the ability to see the pros & cons.

Maybe I can see how I can still improve to make a better image (nevermind that Christmas is already over...), especially after a long break I have now, I can look at it from a fresh perspective. This is the first time a forum leader have commented on my thread, so I am taking this very seriously.

Just kidding, I take all comments seriously, be it critics or comments.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:48 AM   #171
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Thumbs up

There are many good things in this picture. Still I think your initial concept design (where you have 3 variants and with this background) was a bit more clear in terms of colors and tonal separation. Anyway, I'd take a good long break from this (not looking at once a it) and see it in two months. Then you could adjust it fast with fresh mind, as it's mostly about lighting and some texture brightness adjustment, not that much anyway. I think you did a great job but need some rest.
Happy new year!

Old 01-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #172
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister3d
There are many good things in this picture. Still I think your initial concept design (where you have 3 variants and with this background) was a bit more clear in terms of colors and tonal separation. Anyway, I'd take a good long break from this (not looking at once a it) and see it in two months. Then you could adjust it fast with fresh mind, as it's mostly about lighting and some texture brightness adjustment, not that much anyway. I think you did a great job but need some rest.
Happy new year!

Good idea,

I will relook at it after my Holidays in the tropics. Much need break as well.

Happy New year as well to you.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #173
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread