Rebirth of CSTOOLS at NAB 2012

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2014
Originally Posted by ChrisCousins: Nope - not if you try Lennart's awesome and inexplicably free SteadyCamPro. I wish this was installed with every Cinema version - whenever I demo it to people who don't know it, their eyes widen and their jaws droop. Perhaps the sheer amount of options and controls are a bit overwhelming at first, but even at its simplest it's better by a mile than what Maxon has.

If you're interested, start with SteadyGlide - bung two or three cameras in a scene, then animate the move parameter. It's done via integer numbers - so '1' is the first camera, '2' is the second; rather than the fiddly percentages in the Morph Camera.

Change the focal lengths of each camera until the SteadyCam path does what you want. You can smooth the moves yourself, or use the in-built smoothing to control how abruptly the cameras stop. The cameras you're moving between can be still or animated. That's it. There's a ton more if you want it, shaking, damping etc but just this is usually more than enough.

Then move onto the full SteadyCamPro and you have the gold standard in camera rigs, IMO.

Quoted for agreement. The very first thing I do with a new install of c4d is install SteadyCam Pro and SteadyBake. C4d just isn't c4d without them! Not only do his plugins rock, he's also one hell of a nice guy!

-kvb

10 October 2014
Good to know! I had installed SteadyCamPro but it was pretty overwhelming (so many options!) to jump into mid-project, SteadyGlide looks a bit more approachable. Funny thing, I just got this response from Maxon regarding MoCam:

Quote: The Ease In and Ease Out settings being broken for the MoCam preset has been reported to our developers and marked as a confirmed bug in R16. I'm not sure when we can expect an update or fix quite yet.
Regards,
MAXON Technical Support
Actually, the ease in and out has been broken since R13 when this was initially reported this to them. Maybe now would be a good time for Maxon to expedite things considering it ships with their latest version!

10 October 2014
So I was playing with SteadyGlide this morning attempting to recreate a setup I had done with the currently "known buggy" version of MoCam and it just can't quite do what I want it to do. One of the things I love with MoCam is the ability to use waypoint cameras with negative hold frames to create butter smooth transitions without it trying to ease or slow down at that spot. SteadyGlide has some minor control over the ease in and out using the "soft" setting, but adjusting it to remove the ease didn't help, nor did keyframing it back and forth give smooth results. Even with soft completely off there is a little hesitation at that waypoint, or it jerks a bit as I am changing the focal length, something MoCam had no problem with. It's great for moving from camera to camera and settling down per waypoint, but not so good at seamless movement. Perhaps I will finally dig deeper into the full SteadyCam Pro, seems like it should be able to accomplish this.

P.S. I really had high hopes for Maxon's Morph Camera when it was initially released but it has proven useless in its unpredicatability. Why couldn't they at least give us the option to use the waypoint target or DOF target as the pivot point instead of it doing its seemingly random rotation?

10 October 2014
I just sat through that NAB presentation - this thing looks great! And I assume there's two extra years' work on the thing. Release it already! Oh, and if you want to offer it for free but wouldn't mind some cash, maybe do it as donationware; I'd happily chuck a few bucks your way for this. Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

reply share thread