Tutorial:Hard Surface Texture Painting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2011
I find myself using this tutorial whenever I do hard surface texturing However something that rarely works for me at least is the way you are doing scratches. Just painting white on it makes it look really "painted on" whenever I'm doing it

However, for metallic objects that don't have a paintlayer on top of them is what I'm looking for next.. just pretty much metal that is bare/base metal but that should look equally convincing. Using a primer/paint makes it easier since there's big areas being covered by only color with a little bit of generic scratches on top.

Anyone that could perhaps link to such a tutorial or give me any tips?

01 January 2013
Hey all,

I hope someone can clarify, I am missing something with the all layer fill.

I have 2 scratch layers, one set to screen 85%, the other one above it set to screen 35%

Where do I put the fill layers, above or below. I am missing how when they colours are filled there is chipped away paint effect to the base layer.

I have a layer above OR below the scratch layers, I have a grey layer on the bottom but no matter where I put the fill layer I don't seem to achieve the results as seen in the "Using All Layers with bucket fills" section.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

01 January 2013
eerrggghhh scratch that.. I had my tolerance set WAAAAY to high!

02 February 2013
Can I ask what is Vray texture mapping used for, is it to create a Vray "looking" material but that doesnt change from lighting conditions?

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread