Omni Light with "VRayShadow" causing shadow artifacts (time sensitive!)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

05 May 2015
Omni Light with "VRayShadow" causing shadow artifacts (time sensitive!)

Hey everyone! I'm suffering with an issue in my 1080p 30fps VRay render. Not cool! I'm 90% through a final production render farm with 5 separate machines that have quad-core processors so needless to say, I was pretty angry at myself for not testing the shadows out further before starting this render! These are nearly the last 200 frames I was rendering of the animation render order, where each frame is taking about 10-15 minutes.

Everything in the render looks fine except for some glitchy shadow artifacts:

I don't know what is causing this in the lighting-- it's not the architecture. Toggling the omni light off fixes this issue, but also changes the lighting of the scene and takes away my shadows. I cannot change the overall lighting part way through a render.

I just wanted to seek everyone's immediate expertise. Don't be fooled by the elite HDRI skymap-- I am not very skilled with 3ds max. This problem needs to be addressed as soon as possible though if I have any intentions of fixing this. Is there any way I could pinpoint the problem and fix it without turning off the omni light?

Edit to add two more words: SAVE ME!

05 May 2015
Advanced Raytraced shadows seem to fix the glitch quite nicely, but it will require another HUGE crap load of rendering, so this isn't optimum. I don't think there's any way around it though. Anyone know what was causing the artifacts otherwise? Checking Area Shadow in the VRayShadow Params seemed to fix it too, but Raytraced shadows look much nicer.

05 May 2015
Looks like the shadow bias is too high.

reply share thread