Sketchbook of Zeno Pelgrims

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

11 November 2014
I moved there when I was small (3 or 4) and lived there until about 7 years ago. I studied at the Arts Institute (now AUB I think?) next to BU

11 November 2014
Some textures!

Painted some textures today for a prop for the running group project here at uni. Had a lot of fun doing this. Obviously still very WIP!

12 December 2014
First render test of the hoover

First render tests of the hoover! Will post the maps etc when the project is finished. Decided I will do a big-ass making of.

Still need to do the paper bit, the bulbs and sculpt a zdisp map for the fabric. Critique is - as always - more than welcome!

12 December 2014
Texture breakdown modified hoover

Decided to do a quick breakdown of the textures that I painted for a modified hoover. Nothing fancy but could be helpful to people that are in the progress of understanding what the values of certain maps should look like in certain situations.

Quick explanation:

Color: Go crazy - just avoid using pure blacks and pure whites since that's not physically plausible.

Bump: 50% grey is the 0 point. Everything above this value will appear as a bump and everything underneath will appear as a dent.

Spec: Variation is key here. Try to get a good range of values. Black is the 0 point.

Note that I didn't paint a rougness/gloss map. In this case there's no need for it. Rougness values are generally pretty consistent in materials.

In addition to these standard three maps I also painted a dirt map to pipe into the mask of a layered shader so I can layer dirt on top of the glass bits etc.

A lot of the edge wear and tear was done procedurally in Mari by using a curvature map generated inside of Mari. You can download this from mari.ideascale.com. I also baked out an occlusion with Vray to help the procedural wear and tear. You could do this with Mari but because it can't raytrace it will always be dependent on the resolution of your mesh. In this case the polycount wasn't incredibly high so it gave me faceted results.

Keep in mind that I'm not a professional texture painter by any means - just trying to give something back to the community that gave me so much.

12 December 2014
New render test

Testing the lights. HDRI by Xuan Prada.

12 December 2014
Daily sculpt

Daily sketch from 2D artworks that I saved over the time - 1 hour 45 mins

01 January 2015
Daily Sculpt; Merlin Monroe! Concept by Dedy Deti.

01 January 2015
Pirate clay feel render

Did a clay render of this pirate concept sculpt. Will do a breakdown/free gumroad tutorial of how I compiled multiple phototextures to a displacement map sometime soon.

reply share thread