Cthulhu Rising, Toby Hynes (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Cthulhu Rising, Toby Hynes (3D)

Title: Cthulhu Rising
Name: Toby Hynes
Software: 3ds max Mudbox Photoshop ZBrush
Submitted: 25th June 2013

I always wanted to make my own version of HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu. I've tried to follow his description as '"A monster of vaguely anthropoid outline, but with an octopus-like head whose face was a mass of feelers, a scaly, rubbery-looking body, prodigious claws on hind and forefeet, and long, narrow wings behind." Cthulhu has been described as a mix between a giant human, an octopus and a dragon, and is depicted as being hundreds of meters tall, with human-looking arms and legs and a pair of rudimentary wings on its back'. I added the Triceratops style mantle to his head in order to give him a bit of Pre-historic majesty. I also kept his wings long instead of 'rudimentary' as I felt small stubby wings would diminish his scale.
The base mesh was built in Max - sculpted and textured in Mudbox - decimated in Zbrush and finally rendered in with Vray back in Max.

06 June 2013
This is an alternate render of my Cthulhu character with just a grey diffuse to show the sculpt detail more clearly. Depth of field, background elements and atmospherics have also been switched off.

06 June 2013
Nice model, but it lacks proper shading to it, and lighting.

Demo Reel <<< Protfolio Rendering/Lighting

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Dodgeas3d: Nice model, but it lacks proper shading to it, and lighting.

I appreciate all feedback, but other than saying: I can assure you it does, I'm not sure how to respond to that. If you are saying you don't like the shading and lighting because........... then fair enough, but please elaborate if you are going to the effort of posting?
Thanks,
Red

06 June 2013
Ok fair enough:
a) sticking bones could have more like bone matte specular, just parts where it connects to skin (using gloss map) a bit more wet.
b) the forehead and wet looking oily parts (again gloss map to define more wet and matte parts) some leaking wet traces ( gloss + bump) would add more wet shading feel.
c) thin wings and overall skin could scatter more light ( some darker veins appearing in that scatter - sss maps : sub-dermal, back scatter map)
d) not sure if it was intentional to make one tone over all color, but that could be improved by overlaying some more color variation even thou concept is redish.
e) lighting : key light - sun could go a bit more to the right , and on the left blueish light to make nice rim, same soft rim on the right to make the shapes pop more.

i could continue on and on... but these things could vastly improve the model and the render. Hope this helps.

Keep up!

Demo Reel <<< Protfolio Rendering/Lighting

06 June 2013
Thumbs up very nice!

Really nice job Toby. some terrific stuff lately.. really enjoyed some of your recent sculpts..
love his pose as well dude
thanks for sharing
-Dan

06 June 2013
Hey Dan.
Thanks for the kind words.
Yep, a few little projects on the go, but never enough time :(

Red

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread