What is a career in the games industry like as an artist?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Just thought I should say, I am keeping up to date with all the replies and am glad to get such a great response to my questions!

In reference to the posts which talk about being unable to give a specific answer for anything because it always varies, I was more asking about personal experiences in the industry, so I could build up a picture or case studies I guess of what is possible and not a rare exception. (We're not all going to be the next John Lasseter I guess).

But yeah, keep the answers and anecdotes coming! I really enjoy reading them.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by Chrisruptor: Just thought I should say, I am keeping up to date with all the replies and am glad to get such a great response to my questions!

In reference to the posts which talk about being unable to give a specific answer for anything because it always varies, I was more asking about personal experiences in the industry, so I could build up a picture or case studies I guess of what is possible and not a rare exception. (We're not all going to be the next John Lasseter I guess).

But yeah, keep the answers and anecdotes coming! I really enjoy reading them.

I do apologize for chiming in where I have no qualifications. I agree the anecdotes can be funny but as a I am trying to get the hang of 3D myself, purely because I dream of the day I build something I am happy with, I also often search for answers to my questions and more often than not I get jokes and sarcasm and just once in awhile it is nice to find serious answers that answer the questions.
Don't get me wrong there are a lot of people that are more than willing to help the new guy out but weeding through it all to find them can be lengthy. I seem to develop an attention deficit disorder every time I sit down to learn on any of my hobbies so I spend more time reading than doing and that my friend as I am sure you know is great and all but does not get any modeling done.
Thanks for not judging me harshly.
Later.

12 December 2012
Game Developer Salary Survey

Actual results may vary, but this seems pretty accurate. I work for a large developer, and my hours are usually 40 hours a week. I have great benefits, and live in a nice area. The project is a great one, and the people are super fun to be around. There is crunch from time to time, but always rewarded with extra time off and other perks.

Again, actual results may vary, but I've also worked in the film industry and I prefer games.

YouTube Channel
Char Maya Character Rig

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by kokwey57: 4 - no pretty female in my studio, all tired face male.

that was pretty funny... atleast you retained your sense of humor.

12 December 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread