dinosaur

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Question dinosaur

Hi! everybody, this is my second 3D artwork. Welcome everyone to give me a critiques specific, how can i improve my CG image?
Thanks!

Last edited by siulungcg : 09 September 2012 at 06:36 AM.

09 September 2012
I think the background do not match quite the Jurassic period & envirnoment typical of Dinosaur.

The dinosaurs need stronger bump mappings & better textures. Details can be further improve also, as with the lighting. The lighting look flat now. On a mide day, the lights & shadow should be more harsh.

Its not a bad, for a presummingly beginner work, but certainly far for being able to get into the gallery forum these days, if that is your target at the moment.

For learners, its better to concentrate on learning, & create masterpiece in my opinion. Cheers.

09 September 2012
For beginner work I think it is a good effort. One thing that threw me off is that first glance make it all look like one dinosaur because the outer ones head is low and lined up with the other ones leg. I would probably pose the outer dino a bit different, or change camera angle.
Very good effort, I look forward to seeing more.

09 September 2012
Good effort for a second piece. The dinosaurs look like they have been superimposed on a 2D backdrop atm. I think the flat lighting in the scene is causing this problem. Also if ou want to create a sense of motion, try using some motion blur in post production. This can also help focus on the subject of the image, the dinosaurs.

EDIT: Also some depth of field will help emphasise the scale of the dinosaurs (I assume they are wuite large?)

09 September 2012
As those guys are running, you could add a little bit of motion blur caused by the cam following them? Also tilt the picture ccw at about 5-7 degrees for more dynamic. Some more contrast and contrast in lighting could make it a but more tasty I think. Maybe they kick up more dust and small pebbles. The lighting could affect that as well of course.

Cheers
Andre

09 September 2012
Looks great! ACantarel brought some great ideal tweaks. You should follow them! Plus, I have a love for RGB split. I'd suggest looking into that a little. You know, most photographs end up with a small amount of red/cyan distortion. Perhaps put some small grain filter as well

Last edited by Gnasty : 09 September 2012 at 08:31 AM.

09 September 2012
Yeah Gnasty is right, you have to "break" the cg look! That can be done by a lot of little things. One of them is the right use of the chromatic aberration, the other very important thing is avoiding all those mathematical perfect lines. Use a lot of micro displacement to break up all the silhouettes, work with kicked up dust and slight fog to fill the empty air, right use of motion blur, use lines in the environment to lead the eye to the main piece of the picture, play with contrasts. Contrasts can also be weight contrast, color contrast, lighting contrast, size contrast etc... and maybe those two chase a tiny fast dinosaur? Don;t put those to guys into the center of the image, that;s too boring. Give them a bit room in viewing direction.

Try a back-lit scenario with hot rim lights vs dark silhouettes and atmospheric effects.

Hope to see some updates

Cheers
Andre

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread