Painting and Sketches

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 03 March 2015   #31
I'm not sure of how much help I'd be able to offer, I'm more of a colors person and not well versed in this kind of stylized look. But I can say I see a hell of improvement in your work, and I'm happy you're becoming more daring with materials now. That's the way!

Still, your values and volumes can see some simple improvement. Your subjects don't seem as solid as they could be because you spread your values too evenly, and you don't use much pure white or black either. It's a bit hard to explain without visual examples. E.g.: The shadows on the neck of someone may not share the same values of the shadow of the eye crease. They're the same material, they're more or less in the same depth, but they aren't exactly in the same depth, and in closer shots this difference will be visible. If it's not there, the image reads flat. Also, the position of sources of light relative to these two areas changed. It'll not look the same thing.

TL;DR.: The easiest way to take these things into account is to start from the bigger shapes. An sphere-ish shape for the head, cylinder for the neck, etc. Imagine that there is a soft ambient light giving each of these shapes some definition. Then start to move to the smaller elements. Eyes, nose, protruding bones... Be mindful of their positions on the base shape, of their depth. The side of a nose won't have the same shadow intensity the edge of the head has, because under this single soft ambient light setup it's closer to the viewer and closer to the light.

After you nailed their basic volume this way it becomes way easier to work the light and shadows of your subject, add more daring lights points, backlight, etc. Otherwise it's quite a guessing game, you guess the volume and depth are more less this way, add lights, and if you're wrong the misplacement flattens the whole area (e.g.: neck of zombie. The side light follows the edge instead of taking the volume into account).

Last edited by Vielmond : 03 March 2015 at 04:44 PM.

Old 05 May 2015   #32
Hi Camila.
Thanks for your comments, they help a lot.
I usually start lighting thinking in the shapes as boxes, I can visualize where the light is hitting better this way... but I think start getting lost in the light somewhere in the process.
I'll try the next paintings the way you told me and I'll keep what you said in mind... thanks for the advices.. I'll keep posting here the progresses = )

Website.

reply share thread