Castillo Chileno / Chilean Castle

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Castillo Chileno / Chilean Castle

Just a super quick exercise to set projections in the fastest way possible...
I think every aspirant had to put a castle above a mountain: so this is my first one,

It's a shame i didn't shoot a video as a plate, because the ocean and waves there was so massive and savage. No ocean simulation can reach Mr. Neptune qualities. So i erased the huge waves because with them static the image lost believability. But i think i did a bad clone work...

here's a super quick projection:
https://vimeo.com/72827834
(the funiest part was animate the condor)

Kind regards guys. Any comments are more than welcome.

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Hello Norberto,
You seem to have the technical understanding of creating moving shots and also a great interest for other visual effects disciplines.
However, you might want to concentrate on the painting part a bit more, especially since you seem to have developed a certain confidence in such aspects as projection mapping and compositing.
Details like framing and integration need to be locked before a shot enters the next stage. For your next project, try to progress a bit slower and post your WIP here. Once your standalone painting is working, you will have no trouble integrating a camera move and atmospheric effects.

Keep it up. You're on the right track.
Milan

Old 08 August 2013   #3
Hello Milan,

thanks a lot for your kind review. I admire your work.
And you are absolutelly right on your advices...

1) "For your next project, try to progress a bit slower and post your WIP here."
- This would be fantastic, and i will surelly do in a next project... thank you again

2) This shot was more a sort of crazy exercise i did in 2 days to experiment techincal tatics/pipeline; integrate and project a plate and some 3D assets, and tryout if i can setup everything in different softwares (repeating the setups in maya, modo, blender, and nuke. AE and mary was used as well.. ). All in 2 days... I did the basic painting on the first morning.
It was fun, i've learned a lot but only showed that software is just a tool. that if you know how to use a hammer and a bucksaw doesn't mean you can build a woodcabin.

3) When you say 'locked' you mean finished ? or this is a technical term i'm missing ?

4) i'll back to study and practice what matters and hope i can post something soon.
Also waiting for the challenge here... what are we wainting ?

Kind regards,

norberto

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Td

I just meant that you seem to have the technical confidence and should now concentrate on the artistic part of improving your image visually. Look at real life photography to help you guide your matte painting work. Good luck.

Old 08 August 2013   #5
Quick update on the image before i go sleep...

Old 08 August 2013   #6
Hio Norberto,

I think the bird can be flipped horizontally so it's looking more inwards, that'll keep our eye staying inside the frame more. Also this is a pretty bright sunlight day, so there will be strong contrast and harsh cast shadows. The shadows on the fence, and the bird onto the fence could be a bit more strong due to this. Overall the ocean is looking cool, and the mountains, but bump up the contrast a bit more in the waters, and the higher elevation of the mountain to show that the atmosphere is more on the low end of the height of the piece.

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Old 08 August 2013   #7
Hello David... thanks for your opinion.

i flipped the condor, and did some adjustments in shadows and atmosphere as you mentioned.
I don't know if black and white values are ok in the foreground...

I think i'm gonna finish this one... must jump into next one.

Thank you very much.

norberto

Old 08 August 2013   #8
FG elements

Hello Norberto,
It is great to see your progress and improvement.
Sometimes after days of trying to make an element work, we must realize that it might be easier to remove it and use a new one to final a shot. Currently, your fence is the weakest part of your image. It is uncommon to make up some FG elements out of thin air in Matte Paintings. Mostly, if that is needed, it would be practical or 3D and then might receive a paint-over but forcing something into a different lighting so close to camera is a tremendous amount of work. Unless your client insists on using that specific element, I would not make your life unnecessarily this hard.
Try turning that fence off for a minute and fixing things like your horizon line and the structure on the cliff. Once you're happy with all that, re-tackle the FG and try to work with a stronger base element. Keep posting your WIP here and you'll get there.
Good luck.
Milan

Old 08 August 2013   #9
Hello Milan
Thanks again

I utterly agree with you. That fence is a piece of sh@#$@. And the Condor as well...
But i liked the feedback i've got here from you and David, and tryed to finish it as good as i could at the moment.
As i told it was just a technical exercise i did to integrate and project 3d assets and a plate into a moving shot using different softwares... to see what works faster with me. A way to spend some free time. And discover that software is just a tool.

Now i will jump into next projects, will be part of an workshop next month, keep learning and painting.

By the way whats wrong with my horizon line ? It looks bended ?? Too blured ?
Is the fog/atmosphere wich makes it blured ?
Actually it cames as it is from my original photo... it's pacific fog: the south wind is so strong that puts water in suspension over the ocean.

Kind regards,

Norberto

Old 08 August 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread