realtive vs absolute story clips

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #1
realtive vs absolute story clips

hi, this is some stuff that's been driving me nuts for a while.
how do you make something loop.. properly... in story. :]

by default, story is looping in 'relative-mode' (I'm using Maya terminology), meaning after the last pose, the next animation continues from where u were, not back at its starting point.
also, I have weird behavior with characters that, at each loop in the clip, jump forward a bit. or even more than just a bit. for no reason that I can think of. cycle-boing-cycle-boing... :}

unfortunately I can't upload anything. so just.. if anyone has any idea about what's going on, and how do you loop a clip in this software... in 'absolute mode'... that would be awesome!

(btw, if I copy and paste the clip N times, instead of simply extending it to loop, it behaves normally. meaning - the way I want)
thanks!

Old 06 June 2012   #2
Extending a read only clip cycles that way, there is a hack to get around it but you are better off just cycling the fcurves instated of the clips.

You can use an override clip over the cycles that counter animate the translates back to 0 so it cycles in place.

The hitch you are seeing could be your cycle isn't clean or what happens with clips at times is the end of the clip is a frame off and needs to be adjusted +- one frame.

Old 06 June 2012   #3
thanks.
my clip is looping perfectly. also, how can you adjust the length of a looping clip? also... I don't want to adjust its length, if I have 8 frames in my clip, all 8 frames are important and should be there :P

You can use an override clip over the cycles that counter animate the translates back to 0 so it cycles in place.
messing up a perfect loop just to be made loopable in Story... is not an option :}

again, you can loop clips properly if you copy paste clips instead of extending a clip.... but it's not how clip looping should work. :/

Old 06 June 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread