Really odd problem..

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2004
Really odd problem..

Ok... here it goes... my computer is dead and has been in that conditition for a long while since I can't seem to fix it. So I thought maybe some of you know ?

The problem is: When I install a OS, the computer starts to complain and later on, hang itself. With Debian, I could install it but it was complaining constantly in the bash (Segmentation fault). I thought it got to have something with memory do to with it right, so I did a memtest86 on my RAM and passed 39 times without an error. Yesterday I got to borrow a HDD from a pal to check if that was the problem but noooo ....
So, I have no idea whatsoever about where the problem could be.
Anyone got an idea ?

//Marcus

04 April 2004
have you checked your other components, yet? maybe there is a problem with your processor, motherboard, ... and so on!

.: bitmapper design :.

04 April 2004
I have no idea even where to start troubleshooting :S... or how :P...
A month ago, I left the computer where I bought it so they could fix it... guarantee and all you know. Perhaps three weeks later I thought I should drop by and see what's happening. They say they've checked it and I can take it back home. I'm really happy at this moment but you know, I spat out a bunch of questions at the same time like: "What was the problem?" and "Don't you wanna see the guarantee-reciept?" (dunno what it's called in english)... but they didn't have to see anything since there weren't any problem with the computer!!! And I was like, oh well then I must've been mistaken. Seriously, I friggin' hate those guys ... they can't do anything right ! *whoozah*
Man... I dunno what to do... thinking 'bout buying a whole new one... :S.. but unfortunately I wont have that much money for awhile :P..

04 April 2004
hm, nice customer service...
anyway, they coundn't find anything wrong with it?
are you able to install an OS completly, or does it abort at some point? what kind of error occurs and screws up your whole system? maybe theres someting wrong with any of your coolers...
try checking the cpu, graphiccard temperature... if any of them becomes to hot

04 April 2004
3 weeks to "fix"? And when you picked it up there was "nothing wrong" with it? It took three weeks to tell you there was nothing wrong with it!?!?!

Sheesh! The people who own that shop should be dragged out onto the street and shot. I hope they didn't charge you for their "service"...

Anywho...have you done a fresh install of your OS? Because an op like Win2000 doesn't usually like being transferred to another computer without a fresh install and will give you a machine error (BSOD).

Could it be on overheating problem? Are your fans really dusty? Is it a video card problem? Really old malfunctiony hardware?

Some specs on the actual error you've been given would help.

04 April 2004
hmm...these are the OSs i've tried to install:

Debian: i managed to install debian completely but if for example i opened xmms it will close the moment after and it complains about segmentation fault. this error comes constantly no matter what i decide to run.

WinXP: here, i'm not even able to finish format the drive before i get an BSOD :S... somewhere at 50-70% it will crash.

Win98 (i wanted to test, that's all): i got pretty far with the installation here but when I restart and boot from the harddrive, it searches for plug and play and configuring the startmenu... then i'll get a errordialogue that says "Msgsrv32" and "rundll32.dll" has crashed and if i proceed by clicking OK there will soon be a BSOD there too.

my computercase is completely without dust since i also thought about that overheating thing but it didn't change anything... i've reset bios and nothing changes...

04 April 2004
take it back to them. stand there and show them the problem.

does the system POST ok?

have u rebuilt the computer?

have a look in the BIOS if your cpu temp sits at say 70C and never changes or seems odd in anyway then the cpu might be fried.

have u recently got a virus?

it could also be a faulty motherboard

insufficient cooling.

or . . . does your hard drive manufaturer have some disk checking software?

do u download you linux disks for free?

i find that id u burn OS's on dvd-rom disks they come with errors - unless your lucky.

if your using cd-r then go and buy the best quality disks out there.

if your useing bootleg windows (i praise you) then download another copy

Last edited by status quo : 04 April 2004 at 12:00 PM.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread