View Polygons of Selected Objects While in Object Mode?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

1 Week Ago
View Polygons of Selected Objects While in Object Mode?

While working with a large CAD file, I have to sort through a lot of pieces. Rarely do the object Axis' (Axis's? Axi?) line up even remotely close to where the object is, so I mustselect one or multiple objects, and see which polygons in the viewport are represented.

But to do so, I have to switch from object mode to polygon mode - and the polys receivea blue outline. Nice. But to add another object to my selection, I have to switch back to object mode, shift click in the viewport on another object, and switch again to polygon mode to see which polys belong to that object as well.

Is there a way I can see the polys that belong to a particular object while staying in object mode?

Thanks!
Luke

1 Week Ago
Viewport Display menu: Gouraud shading - lines. This makes all objects display their wire frame. Alternatively you can do it on a per object basis by giving an object a display tag and enabling the same display option. You can then move this tag from object to object or copy it to other objects.

1 Week Ago
Can you not use the display tag with specific settings, so it visualizes the object in such a way it pops out from the others?

Edit: 3DKiwi beat me with his answer before I completed my post

For my own plugin development needs, I had created a "ShowMe" plugin, which would provide all kinds of information.
One of these features is to display the points/edges/polygons of an object as if being in point/edge/polygon mode. Colors are even customizable, and you can choose to display selected, or unselected points/edges/polygons.
The plugin allows to be applied on a complete scene, or via a tag on a per object base. In your case, you could enable the edges feature from within the tag, and drag the tag from object to object.

Plugin available at the C4DCafe forum:
https://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/forums/topic/100704-showme/

1 Week Ago
Thanks for the feedback!

The display tag route (or any tag route) isn't practical, as I'm working in a CAD file with 12,000 objects, and it takes more time to move the tag from object to object as it does to switch from object mode to polygon mode and back again.

As for Gouraud shading / lines:I'm not looking to see the polygons of all of the objects in my scene, it's more that I wish to have my selected object's polygons highlighted in the viewport while staying in object mode. What's interesting is that while in Gouraud Shading - Lines mode, it does almost exactly what I'm after, but only if the object's parent null is selected. Then that object's polys are outlined in white. But if I select the object itself, nothing happens. It's only outlined in white when I select the object's parent null.

I'd love to try the plugin that you mentioned, but it seems that my account at C4D cafe is no longer valid; it doesn't even recognize my email address as on record, even though I used it last August to purchase Seamilar. And now to create a new forum account I have to pay 5 Euros?!

Could you send a link to it via PM on here by chance?

Thanks!
Luke

Last edited by LukeLetellier : 1 Week Ago at 08:00 PM.

1 Week Ago
Plugin sent via e-mail. But reading your last comment, I am afraid the current state of the plugin won't really help you.

So, I modified the plugin slightly to only show the information for the current selected object.
In a "final" version of the updated plugin, I would provide controls to choose between "current selected only" versus "any object". But I am currently running out of time, so I've sent you a quick WIP version of the plugin.
Will work on finalizing this plugin the coming days, if you still require some custom modifications.

1 Week Ago
Thanks Daniel for the plugin! However, I think it still needs some optimization, as just having the plugin installed (and deactivated) brought my scene from 16 FPS to ~1 FPS. It also took ~2 seconds after clicking on an object to see the results in the viewport.

1 Week Ago
Thanks for the feedback.
I had developed this plugin for informational usage. Kind of a debugging utility for objects.
With over 12000 objects in a scene and potentially lots of polygons, the plugin might have a hard time picking up and drawing all the necessary information.
So, not really useful in your situation. Sorry to disappoint.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by C4DS: Thanks for the feedback.
I had developed this plugin for informational usage. Kind of a debugging utility for objects.
With over 12000 objects in a scene and potentially lots of polygons, the plugin might have a hard time picking up and drawing all the necessary information.
So, not really useful in your situation. Sorry to disappoint.

No worries! Thank you for taking the time to try & help.

reply share thread