A trick to don't rename everything?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

3 Weeks Ago
A trick to don't rename everything?

Hello everyone! I'm a new member from Venice Italy. I'm so sorry but I don't have find the right section for the usual forum presentation.
I work with C4D R19 and every time I use one of this command: Extrude - sweep - turn - boolean.
I've the same problem. Why can I rename the new object? There isn't a solution for that?
I should want that the Extrude command, for example, take the name of the object that I put inside of it! Is it possible?
I've search some solution with "Text Rename" command but with no results.

Thanks guys

2 Weeks Ago
There's nothing automatic to cause the sweeps or booleans to take the name of the object inside them, for several reasons.
You might have a complex hierarchy with many nested objects like Sweeps, Subdivision Surfaces, Booleans etc. How would the program know which object to use for the name ?
The other thing is that it can be useful for objects to be named for what type of object they are, so that you can filter by name to select all objects of a certain type, no matter where they are in the hierarchy.
You can however, batch rename objects with the Tools Menu -> Naming Tool. This allows for string substitution etc.

2 Weeks Ago
You can use Xpresso for this.

Create an Xpresso tag with relative object nodes inside, one for parent and one for child. You can then set the object node to use the name of the child object to replace the name of the parent object (holding the tag).

Save as a tag preset and you can then add this to any objects you wish to automatically rename.

This tutorial covers using relative linking with Xpresso which might help

Cheers
Tim
Professional MoGraph & VFX Training

@helloluxx
facebook

reply share thread