quick workflow questions:

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2004
quick workflow questions:

I am new to modo coming from Maya, I have a few simple questions i'm hoping someone with maybe some beta testing experience could address for me

1. Is there anyway to bring up the manipulator immediatly after an extrude to begin the extrude without clicking somewhere on the screen
2. Is there a magnet snapping similar to Maya's "make live" option for snapping points to a mesh
3. Is there a way to turn off back face selection when making selections in subobject modes
4. Is there a raycast selection tool similar to XSI (paint selection)
6. Is there anyway to to use the slice tool to draw points in the middle of a face and then connect them later by hand
7. Why does modo not switch modes for tools...example...if i select a face and hit bevel, or even hold shift and bevel...it just gives me some kind of weird face offset..when i really want a tradition edfeg bevel. (this is probably a dumb question but it still seems weird if even maya can do it)

Thanks in advance for the help

09 September 2004
Originally Posted by spacemunky:
1. Is there anyway to bring up the manipulator immediatly after an extrude to begin the extrude without clicking somewhere on the screen
Yes, if you right click on the extrude tool inside of the "tool pipe" you can set it to auto-activate

Originally Posted by spacemunky: 2. Is there a magnet snapping similar to Maya's "make live" option for snapping points to a mesh
There is "snap to element" which will snap it to verts if you'd like, however I've not used that function in maya so I'm not sure how similar it is

Originally Posted by spacemunky: 3. Is there a way to turn off back face selection when making selections in subobject modes
If you are working in the default mouse config, middle mouse button will lasso select through, right mouse will lasso ray cast style

Originally Posted by spacemunky: 4. Is there a raycast selection tool similar to XSI (paint selection)
See #3

Originally Posted by spacemunky: 6. Is there anyway to to use the slice tool to draw points in the middle of a face and then connect them later by hand
Not yet, however you can stencil on geometry using a solid drill (object in background)

Originally Posted by spacemunky: 7. Why does modo not switch modes for tools...example...if i select a face and hit bevel, or even hold shift and bevel...it just gives me some kind of weird face offset..when i really want a tradition edfeg bevel. (this is probably a dumb question but it still seems weird if even maya can do it)
If you want to select a face, and bevel the edges, the easiest way is to hold the "alt" key and notice that the "Vert" "Edge" and "Polygon" buttons have changed to "Convert" so you can convert your selection to the edges by simply clicking on it. modo assumes that whatever mode you are working in is how you want to bevel. Holding shift will actually allow you to reset and reuse bevel, so you can pull out a bevel, then hold shift and click, and a new bevel will start without having to interact with a menu.

Originally Posted by spacemunky: Thanks in advance for the help

Our pleasure!

09 September 2004
Dion:
Anyway to switch to Maya viewport navigation and retain the default mouse config for selecting?
Thanks.

09 September 2004
wow...that was a fast response. Thanks for the great answers and I am sure I will have some more questions for you as time progresses. I just want to take a sec and say that in my opinion this is the way graphics companies should work. Listening to their customers and taking the time to create apps that respond to the needs of the users. If more companies conducted business this way...all our jobs in the cg industry would be alot easier. Thanks again

09 September 2004
The "make live" option from maya is called "Background Snap" in Modo. Setup is a breeze. You can find more information about it on page 222 of you pdf manual.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread