Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2007

THREAD ALIVE

-The thread is now open, to have a chronological index of all the old challenges. Pls post your work here if you would like to receive comment on old lighting challenge scene !-

This thread was closed January 5, 2009. Please look through to see a lot of work people posted, based on previous challenges.

-jeremy

Last edited by jojo1975 : 04 April 2015 at 12:15 PM.

01 January 2007
More File Formats Wanted

If have a nice, clean version of some of the scenes imported into your own particular 3D software package, I'd like to host more file formats.

For example, if you've imported Challenge #1 into Softimage|XSI or CHallenge #2 into Cinema 4D, and your scene could make it easier for other people with your brand of software to get started with your challenge, I'd like to share it.

If you have a challenge scene imported into another file format which would be useful to a large number of people, then please clean out any textures or lights that you added, make sure the objects are grouped in a logical way, compress the file as .zip or .rar, and send it to me.

If you have a website, just post here with the URL where the new file can be downloaded. If you need other ways to send a file, PM me and I'll reply with an e-mail address or FTP address for you to use.

Thanks!

-jeremy

01 January 2007
Let me be the first...

Hi.. I did this first challenge after I bought the lighting and rendering. I thought the first challenge has closed already. That's y I didn't post it. Thanks for the chance that provids by jeremy... I took all the real texture of all the fruits. And few spots lights point lights and a area light. Raytracing shadow map has been used here.. The grapes has done of mentalray sss shader... C&C welcome...

01 January 2007
Great idea.
I've tried most challangest myself but due to time constraints I usualy don't finish them and hence don't like posting anything I know I'm not going to finish.
So here is an attempt to light the eye that I never posted. It was mostly done as a practice for inderect lighting setup and compositing via XSI's built in comp. This was the first pass on it and then life got in a way

Here is the composite tree for this: Comp Tree

Cheers!

01 January 2007
Just did this today, had dabbled at the challenges before, never had time to finish one. Then I got Digital Lighting and Rendering for christmas, which is teaching me lots. Heres the fruitbowl, and I think Ill do another tommorow. Done in Cinema 4D, post in Photoshop. Rendered in passes.

01 January 2007
Wow I couldnt even wait till tommorow. Well I guess technically its tommorow, but for me today hasnt even ended yet. Heres my go at the bottles challenge. Now Ill still have time for even another tommorow! Cinema 4D, multi pass, to Photoshop...
Whadya think?

05 May 2007
Smile

hi jeremy and everyone

well i am a lighting artist from india i am also very much intrested in joining u guys with the lighting challenges and i had a view of the images that was really grt i really liked the lighting in that hunted hall that was really amazing and i also want to learn soft lighting if anyone can help me to learn can u pls pass on ur lighted maya files to me i will sit and go through and also pls tell me what all passes u guys take for that image to look so good and jeremy pls help me in learning soft lighting i am really int in learning pls help me out guys if anyone intretsed to help me and give ur lighted files pls pass on to that my mail id at krish_boo@yahoo.co.in pls i request everyone to help me coz even i want to be like u people lighting good images so pls help me

03 March 2007
candle light

this is my first post in CG talks the site is really cool can learn a lot from the pro's this is what i did of with my knowladge using maya and photoshop

03 March 2007
lighting chalanges

this is my first post in CG talks the site is really cool can learn a lot from the pro's i did this off with the knowladge i had in maya and photo shop

03 March 2007
Yet another bowl of fruit...

Hi everyone...

I just started working through Jeremy's book, and have been reading through the old challenges- it's great, I've learned loads already! Thanks to all of you who are participating in this thread, and especially Jeremy.

Anyway, here's my bowl of fruit. I'm using Vue Infinite- that must be an odd thing to use; no one else in these challenges uses it, it seems. I'm a total noob and that's the only 3d software I've got. When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail...

I've got lots of issues (some of them have to do with this scene ) but in particular, the shadow on the pear is driving me nuts. I'm not sure what to do to make it better without ruining the overall effect.

Cheers, and thanks for any feedback!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fruit-bowl4-small.jpg (83.5 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by elenmirie : 03 March 2007 at 10:03 PM.

03 March 2007
Hi Viskam,

I love the Che Guevara pic! And the smoke rising in front of him makes a really nice composition.

Your candle flames look a bit like natural gas flames, though... can you fix that to make them look more like natural flame?

Seeing your work makes me want to do that challenge- just after I get over being obsessed with fruit.

Cheers!

03 March 2007

It is another scene rendered with maxwell render.

Render time is about 2hours.

No post processed except level adjustment.

and ashisa,

I like your burning coil(?) and smoke.

It's a really cool.

Last edited by sandykoufax : 03 March 2007 at 06:45 AM.

03 March 2007
Here is my try at the candle scene. I didn't get around to putting an image in the frame yet and didn't give much attention to the incense. I was mainly focused on getting the candle and flames right and the lighting from them. This was my first try at rendering in passes. I had four passes that I combined in photoshop (Shadow, Ambient Occlusion, Flames and Everything Else).

Last edited by RobbieBaker : 03 March 2007 at 02:29 PM. Reason: image wasn't displaying

03 March 2007
Wink I finally finished my version of the Hunted_Hallway

I had a lot of fun working on this piece. I used Maya 8.0 and the textures that I used are from www.texturama.com, except for the floor, I got that one from www.cgtextures.
Ok, In this image I am using Mental Ray and Global Illumination.
Thank you guys. Any comments are very welcome.

Last edited by MartinRomero : 03 March 2007 at 08:48 AM.

03 March 2007
gato3d - What you posted is mostly a black image, with only a circle of light on the floor and a few streaks of texture on a wall to the right, so it's hard to tell what you're trying to represent.

-jeremy

reply share thread