AR3 still can't get close to Vray in Exterior renderings?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2010
Originally Posted by dann_stubbs: i see a lot of great work being rendered. both in AR3 and in VRAY - sadly most of the amazing work is not really fodder for forums and i think unless you know it was done in C4D you probably don't assume it was (or you may not even know it was CG!)

but what i tend to notice most is the great architecture work i see done is predominately done in VRAY.

that says either that VRAY is better for arch work - OR the more talented users are choosing VRAY for their projects.

so that makes me think that these talented arch users - the ones with the most experience and skill and making these incredible renders are choosing VRAY for a reason.

i don't underestimate their reasons for their choice...

VRAY is an awesome product and nearly every day i think about how thankful i am that stefan (and renato and daniel) put the effort into creating it for us C4D users. Maxon should be appreciative of it too.. it really helped push C4D to a new level. (and a different need of users too)

i still like AR a lot - it's complete integration of course is the best - but maxon seems spread a bit thin the past few years - new checklist features seem priority over the old way of stability and bug fixes (IMHO) yes we've had some amazing new features and tools - hair, mograph etc... (though often at a pricey cost) and i understand why that is the way it is - but can't say it makes me think all great things of the new way... the fact that we still drag around the corpse of dynamics says a lot... not much good...

VRAY is a very welcome and extremely capable addition to C4D. the GI in it is still a better solution then in AR too from what i've found. (though give credit that AR3 made leaps in it's GI recently)

dann

Probably most (not all) architects are using Max, and Vray has been available for a long time as a natural partner to Max. I suspect Vray is 'better' than AR3, although I haven't tried it. I've no real reason for saying that other than the fact that Vray is more expensive than the AR module and that previous incarnations of AR were pretty naff or just plain impractical to use. However I've done quite a bit of stuff with the 11 and 11.5 demo and I'm impressed with the speed and total ease of use.
(thankyou Maxon for putting out a useable demo)
I must think its pretty good because as an old owner of Vs8.5 XL, I'm shelling out 3171 plus for the priviledge of being current with a Studio package. I could have bought into Max and a subscription very nearly at that price.
Looking at some of the AR3/Vray comparisons that have been put up its very obvious to me that the end result is very much in the hands of the user and at how well they are able to master/leverage the very capable lighting tools in c4d.
Martin K

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by Martin Kay: ... the very capable lighting tools in c4d.
Martin K

No IES support in AR sucks. That is all.

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by pwhittaker: No IES support in AR sucks. That is all.

There are plugins that provide a solution.

04 April 2010
Do you have links to any of these? I'd be interested in taking a look.

Originally Posted by ThePriest: There are plugins that provide a solution.

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by pwhittaker: No IES support in AR sucks. That is all.

You always have an option http://www.blackstar-solutions.de/index.php?id=51
Vray is pretty fast and solid specially their AO and GI.
The only thing stopping me from using Vray must of the times is the lack of tutorials for such a complex plug in there should be something similar to Samir DPIT Effex video tutorials or
Paul Seshi great library of tutorials.

Edgard

04 April 2010
There are a wealth of tutorials and sample files provided on the official VRay for C4D forum: http://www.vrayforc4d.com/forum/

Or here: http://www.vrayc4d.com/

And if that's not enough just follow any VRay tutorial for Max as they are easily transferrable.

Originally Posted by ediris: You always have an option http://www.blackstar-solutions.de/index.php?id=51
Vray is pretty fast and solid specially their AO and GI.
The only thing stopping me from using Vray must of the times is the lack of tutorials for such a complex plug in there should be something similar to Samir DPIT Effex video tutorials or
Paul Seshi great library of tutorials.

Edgard

04 April 2010
Vray in MAX has the single most important advantage over AR3 and Vray for C4D and that is true distributed rendering and that includes single frame rendering where ALL clients share the burden of the lightcache calculation and contribute IR calculation buckets and final render buckets at the same time. So much easier than net render and tile rendering'

AFAIK you can have unlimited clients so 10 I7's will give you 80 buckets chugging away at the same time

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by paulselhi: Vray in MAX has the single most important advantage over AR3 and Vray for C4D and that is true distributed rendering and that includes single frame rendering where ALL clients share the burden of the lightcache calculation and contribute IR calculation buckets and final render buckets at the same time. So much easier than net render and tile rendering'

AFAIK you can have unlimited clients so 10 I7's will give you 80 buckets chugging away at the same time

yes that is something i would love to see... but don't be completely fooled by the "sales pitch" of it

there are diminishing returns with any network rendering and the data transfer and overhead of managing the distributed render... it would depend on the scene and the network of course but it would start to be slower then faster at some point of too many render clients contributing...

but of course not too many may be in the situation of having that negative to the distributed network solution. : )

dann
-

04 April 2010
Most motherboards these days have GB speed neiwork capabilities and a GB speed switch is fairly inexpensive, you just have to rember to upgrade your cables as standard cat5 is not designed for GB speed networking, Of course a dedicated netwok raid storage setup is also recommended

whoops.. forgot who i was responding too.. grandmas and eggs !!!

Last edited by paulselhi : 04 April 2010 at 06:02 PM.

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by paulselhi: Most motherboards these days have GB speed neiwork capabilities and a GB speed switch is fairly inexpensive, you just have to rember to upgrade your cables as standard cat5 is not designed for GB speed networking, Of course a dedicated netwok raid storage setup is also recommended

i guess i should/could have simplified my comment...

yes GB ethernet is important...

but basically if you have a frame that takes 100 hours on computer X - having 100 computer X may not mean a 1/100 render time

there will be a point of diminishing returns is all as the overhead takes over the actual rendering processing.

probably anywhere from 2-8 computers would be great and awesome return on a distributed frame rendering. maybe more maybe less depending on scene...

still would like to see that feature pop up in C4D sooner rather then later : )

dann
-

04 April 2010
DR is certainly a nice feature that will also come, in a free update, to vrayforc4d. when ready and fully working. also a RT engine, that can render stills over network and GPUs.

Dann is also right, that also gigabit network will have a bottle neck somewhere. with gigabit you can normally render about 6-8 nodes efficiently. best is to have as many core per node.

best greetings
Stefan
vrayforc4d

Last edited by lllab : 04 April 2010 at 09:26 AM.

04 April 2010
8 nodes at 64 threads/buckets would be..pleasant. Above 10 nodes and i would think that you would need Windows server

04 April 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread