Help with Chamfer in edit poly please

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Help with Chamfer in edit poly please

Hey Guys,

I've been having a few problems with the chamfer in Edit Poly in 3DS Max 2012 and can't seem to achieve an even chamfer around my edges.

Can anybody help me please?

Here's 2 images to hep illustrate the problem:

This is the edge I am trying to chamfer.

Heres what happens when I actually chamfer the edge.

Would be very greatful to anybody that can help. Thanks!

Old 02 February 2013   #2
That's because of the edges connecting to the corner, what I do in that type of situation is make the hole a bit bigger than you want and then inset in so that you have a loop around the hole, then when you chamfer it it should be even around it:

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Or you could also shift-scale-drag the border edges of the holes while they're still 2D.

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Thank you

Originally Posted by darthviper107: That's because of the edges connecting to the corner, what I do in that type of situation is make the hole a bit bigger than you want and then inset in so that you have a loop around the hole, then when you chamfer it it should be even around it:

Thank you guys for your help, but I still don't understand.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Originally Posted by musashidan: Or you could also shift-scale-drag the border edges of the holes while they're still 2D.

That wouldn't quite work, you need the loop to be an equal distance away all around to get the chamfer to go evenly, that would only work if your rectangle shape is a square shape, not a rectangle.

Originally Posted by DesignerLuke: Thank you guys for your help, but I still don't understand.

You need a loop around the hole that you cut, you can see it in the example image I posted.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
Originally Posted by darthviper107: That wouldn't quite work, you need the loop to be an equal distance away all around to get the chamfer to go evenly, that would only work if your rectangle shape is a square shape, not a rectangle.

I see what you mean but it's a simple matter of scaling in a single axis afterward to even out the loop.I find myself using shift-scale all the time as it is a lot more flexible than the inset tool in most situations. Also, when polymodeling I mostly delete the cap-face and shift-drag the open border rather than the bevel/extrude face tool. I suppose it's just another tool option in the old modeling arsenal.

Old 02 February 2013   #7
You can do that though it wouldn't be exact

Old 02 February 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread