The Best Games of 2012 ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #16
1) Planetside 2

2) Planetside 2

3) Xcom

Old 01 January 2013   #17
Spec Ops: The Line is worth a mention. It's not perfect, but in terms of game as story telling device and social commentary, it's one of the best ever.

Old 01 January 2013   #18
Here's my favorite games of '12 in no particular order, I'm sure some you haven't heard of.

Natural Selection 2 -since I have been playing it lots and lots
Prototype 2 -surprisingly enjoyed it more than the first one
Hitman Absolution -enjoying finding creative ways to reduce target life expectancy
Symphony- turning my mass music collection into a galaga style battlefield that uses my music to make levels.
Primal Carnage - Dinos fighting humans in team deathmatch battles...yes...yes oh yes.

Old 01 January 2013   #19
Dark Souls Artorias of the Abyss / PC Prepare to Die Edition.

that is all. Best game of all time. I just finished Dishonoured and it was fun but it's no Demon Souls/Dark Souls for intelligent combat. You can see they were inspired by DS to make the enemies intelligent in a way that doesn't just make them God of War style knockover enemies but it wasn't very challenging. I think you have to really like steampunk, which doesn't really do it for me.

I can't play another Oblivion/Fallout RPG. I hate the art direction and I'm tired of sifting through endless gear and shit to sell.

Last edited by cgbeige : 01 January 2013 at 04:54 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #20
The walking dead
Boarder lands 2 coop
Hotline Miami

Old 01 January 2013   #21
1.)Journey. It might be short and only played it once, but it was an awesome experience. ( great soundtrack too )

2.) FTL: really nifty game.

plenty of other games that arent exactly AAA games that are excellent.

Old 01 January 2013   #22
Indie games are really starting to shine, especially with how well they work with communities to adjust the product and integrate content requests.

Old 01 January 2013   #23
Ya I forgot about Journey. It was amazing and I can't remember the last time a game filled me with child-like wonder. It was like a flying dream. I need to play that again. Amazing

Old 01 January 2013   #24
Haven't played many games this year.

1. Walking Dead
2. Journey

Old 01 January 2013   #25
Originally Posted by cgbeige: Ya I forgot about Journey. It was amazing and I can't remember the last time a game filled me with child-like wonder. It was like a flying dream. I need to play that again. Amazing

speaking of dark souls, never played it. does it have a good narrative? I missed the sale on steam :/ I read from a few threads online that it reminds people of vagrant story in some respects. I hope the narrative is good, because if it is, and the combat is cool then it could make for an outstanding game.

Old 01 January 2013   #26
ya, the narrative is really good and the art direction together with the difficulty level make it a unique and incredible game. It's similar to The Witcher 2 but the combat doesn't suck and it's more mystical and dark/demonic.

Old 01 January 2013   #27
you didnt like witcher 2? ( i only got to chapter 3, so i dont know how it is later )

Old 01 January 2013   #28
Darksiders 2, it really didn't get the attention it deservered.

Old 01 January 2013   #29
Fine I'll bite:

1. Dishonored - I don't know what it is about this game but it was far more diverse and balanced than I ever expected. I also loved the art style which wasn't too in your face.
1. Mass Effect 3 - amazing, but the ending was a bit lackluster
3. Witcher 2 - incredible but crazy hard (thank you walkthroughs on the interwebs)
4. Journey - so different and still so satisfying
5. Halo 4 - slight disappointment since I'm a bonafide Halo junkwad
6. Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - this was actually a pretty fun experience
7. Sleeping Dogs: I need to finish this game, because I have a feeling it's going to move way up on my list.

Last edited by MrPositive : 01 January 2013 at 07:43 AM.

Old 01 January 2013   #30
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread