Painter X has Arrived!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2007
I'd just like to add that this has been noted by several other users on this forum including in this post here : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=112&t=462581

So it's not a very isolated thing. I'm eagerly awaiting a response though to see that it is in fact a problem with all of our drivers and Wacom kit and not with the program itself, and that the program is capable with the realbristles of producing the right output (which will at least allow us to narrow down the culprit).

And to fully contextualise yes I had uninstalled the previous drivers (even though they were not so old as to require that according to the Wacom site) before installing the newest drivers, I even went so far as to re-uninstall and install the drivers after this didn't work at first. It doesn't seem that I'm alone in these findings either, but hopefully we'll soon see some actual evidence that it does in fact at least work correctly for some people.

02 February 2007
Well I just phoned Wacom and they more or less said it's a bug with Painter (which would be logical given that all other tools work fine in the application using this technology). The line from Wacom is that this is a known issue that's been reported before, they are not willing to commit 100% to saying that it's a fault in Painters code, but the probability was that it was a bug with Painter rather than with Wacom tablets or driver software, and that to resolve it they will have to get together with Corel and see about fixing it (which at least means there's a good chance that it will be fixed rather than the Corel line of it's the fault of the users :/... how well tested was this product and even this bug once it was reported?).

Last edited by Per-Anders : 02 February 2007 at 12:00 AM.

02 February 2007
Thumbs down Pffffttt.

There you have it. A feature not thorougly tested for bugs but released anyway as their main feature, so people can go and buy a Wacom 6D pen and wondered why the hell Corel released this prematurely. Guess I have to wait for "The upcoming Painter patch" to really upgrade - don't know when that will be. By the way fix the brush ghosting problem while you guys are at it.

"No, no - it's the users fault! Really.

No wonder Mark Zimmer said Painter is slacking.

"Corel Painter has rendered my brand-spanking-new 6D pen useless! Which makes the Realbristle feature useless as well. The enhanced brush ghosting is nothing more than a resource-hogging-after-thought feature added by Corel just for giggles! And the brush performance improvements are so infinitesimal, this should really be a patch rather than a full blown upgrade " - This is what I would say if I had written a software review.

Last edited by toastyovens : 02 February 2007 at 12:56 AM.

02 February 2007
Talking

this has seriously become entertaining ...

02 February 2007
Hm.....lets see
1)Brush Creator = The clear button (located under the brush stroke test area) doesn't work, it looks distorted and transparent. Actually the whole brush creator window looks distorted especially when i move it around and it's almost unusable.
2)Brush Selector Bar = It plays hide and seek. I have to make it appear manually every time i open painter. (window=show brush selector bar)
3) Intuos3 – PainterX = No matter how much i act and pray, Express Key assignments never obey to my fingertips. As for the touch strip which i have assigned the brush size (increase – decrease) it is functional, till i right-click for the brush drop down menu. I have the latest intuos3 drivers. Painter 8 works smoothly with my tablet.

is this a problematic version of painter? to many bugs, even for a new version.

02 February 2007
Quote: So it's not a very isolated thing. I'm eagerly awaiting a response though to see that it is in fact a problem with all of our drivers and Wacom kit and not with the program itself, and that the program is capable with the realbristles of producing the right output (which will at least allow us to narrow down the culprit).

Hi Per-Anders:

Count me among the converted. I am able to duplicate your results exactly. My apologies for mis-understanding your earlier posts—I was under the impression your test was done using the standard Grip Pen. Once I looked deeper, I realized that you are describing the 6D Pen. The Grip Pen has its oddities, as well.

I have communicated all of this to Corel (including the relevant threads here), and I suggest that anyone experiencing strange behavior send a non-ranting descriptive report to the Painter engineering team. Be sure to include your system details.

Quote: No wonder Mark Zimmer said Painter is slacking.

toastyovens:

And just where did you hear this alleged statement? Please back it up with a verifiable source. Otherwise, it is nothing more than a cheap shot with no truth to it.

Quote: 1)Brush Creator = The clear button (located under the brush stroke test area) doesn't work, it looks distorted and transparent. Actually the whole brush creator window looks distorted especially when i move it around and it's almost unusable.
2)Brush Selector Bar = It plays hide and seek. I have to make it appear manually every time i open painter. (window=show brush selector bar)
3) Intuos3 – PainterX = No matter how much i act and pray, Express Key assignments never obey to my fingertips. As for the touch strip which i have assigned the brush size (increase – decrease) it is functional, till i right-click for the brush drop down menu. I have the latest intuos3 drivers. Painter 8 works smoothly with my tablet.

pankaps:

I'm not experiencing these issues. As I requested above, please send a descriptive report to the Painter engineering team. Be sure to include your system details.

Per-Anders and Hecartha: Thanks for all of the input specifically regarding the 6D/RealBristle issue. I'm confident that it will result in a correction.

-john

Pixels—it's all in how you arrange them.

02 February 2007
Ok thanks for bearing with us and testing it out, at least now there's a good chance it'll get fixed, which is all I want from this (obviously apart from other things such as photoshop style opacity as well as Painters "Flow" opacity). Once again thank-you.

02 February 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread