True Standalone Render Engines Recommendations

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by skeebertus: What does Katana use to render? I'm guessing that multiple renderers like Renderman and Vray are probably supported.

Is that right?

Or is Katana a standalone renderengine on its own?

Correct, Katana is a render agnostic lighting package. Most large studios use it in conjunction with RenderMan and/or Arnold. I believe that starting with the next release of Katana, it will also ship with 3delight out of the box.

08 August 2017
Try Clarisse.

http://www.isotropix.com/

4 Weeks Ago
Such a confused thread and OP (no offense meant). Why not use Modo's built-in renderer, as has been mentioned before?

Btw, opening a 100mb mesh in Blender will take time during the first initial import - afterwards, when saving and opening the *.blend file it is extremely quick to open. A 1GB blend file will open in ~15 seconds on my aging i7 920.
A 100mb file takes a couple of seconds. Importing a generic mesh file from another 3d app may take some time, though. But only the first time - save it as a Blender file, and it will open quick. Faster than most other software opens files, because Blender sort-of creates a memory snapshot that is loaded in memory.

reply share thread