CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Meet the Artists
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 02-20-2015, 02:56 AM   #91
mountain7654
portfolio

Unhappy david~help!

david, i just love blizzard cinematic movie, and i want to making 3d animation in blizzard. but i am in the army in korea. and discharged this year december. i am little good at drawing, and interested in modeling. lighting and compositing looks excited, but i am not sure that i good at it, talent to do it.
what can i do for my 3d artists's skill about 10months? i have only pencil and paper...haha... everyday drawing is boring..
please help me.. i have to do something! when i watched blizzard's movie and also sf movie, it's so excited! give me some advice to do!
when i discharged army, i will learn 3d animation detailed in academy in korea.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #92
JonANM
portfolio
Jonathan Kamps
Albuquerque, USA

great work

Beautiful work, fantastic lighting!

Old 03-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #93
magvfx
Veteran
portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulHellard

Hey there,

David Luong is a talented matte painter, bringing experience from movie production and game cinematic creation. He currently working at Blizzard Entertainment as a Senior Cinematic Artist II. Work includes look development, matte painting, lighting, rendering, and compositing to finalize a shot. Some of David's credits include Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty, World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, WoW: Cataclysm, Hearthstone and the newly released Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls cinematic where he did lighting/compositing work.

As well as working in games, Luong has spent time at work in high-end film studios. He worked for Rhythm & Hues Studios where he finished shots for Garfield 2, Superman Returns, and Night at the Museum. He also worked as a freelance matte painter for various studios and independent films. David has worked alongside other master matte painters like Alp Altiner, Chris Thunig, Levi Peterffy, and Fabio Zungrone.

David Luong is also one of the authors of the fast approaching 'd'artiste: Matte Painting 3' Master Class book from Ballistic Publishing. Together with Milan Schere and Damien Mace, he has gathered together tremendously detailed tutorials, images and invited artist galleries in a long-awaited, timeless publication.

He is also a well established and highly sought teacher in the popular CGWorkshop series at CGSociety. Please make him welcome on CGSociety's Meet the Artist, David Luong.

Beautiful Matte Painting! You can color.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #94
Ackdoh
www.davidluong.net

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
David Luong
Senior Cinematic II Artist
Blizzard Entertainment
Irvine, United States

Thanks Magvfx and JonANM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain7654
david, i just love blizzard cinematic movie, and i want to making 3d animation in blizzard. but i am in the army in korea. and discharged this year december. i am little good at drawing, and interested in modeling. lighting and compositing looks excited, but i am not sure that i good at it, talent to do it.
what can i do for my 3d artists's skill about 10months? i have only pencil and paper...haha... everyday drawing is boring..
please help me.. i have to do something! when i watched blizzard's movie and also sf movie, it's so excited! give me some advice to do!
when i discharged army, i will learn 3d animation detailed in academy in korea.

Sorry for the month delay in response. So happy you are inspired by the Blizzard cinematics! In the 10 months that you have, please do continue drawing for sure! What you can also do, is study nature, and draw cities that you see, and landscapes with your pencil and paper. That's all you really have, so just use it to it's maximum potential. Draw every day! Also you can have friends sit down for you and you can practice drawing portraits of them too. They would love one, and you could get great practice for anatomy out of it.

As for CG training, if you don't have a computer, it'll be really hard to learn the programs. But, if you have internet access from time to time, you can watch tutorial videos and watch videos (such as the Blizzard cinematics) or other inspiring videos to get your mood going. Try to see how they do things, how they model, light, bring everything together in compositing, and how it enhances the story in general. Also just watching great VFX movies in general (look for the Oscar award nominated and winnings films in VFX) and study how they also do things.

After the 10 months and getting discharged, I think you'll be ready to go into the academy and really pursue your passion in the CG industry as the teachers there will further guide you into what you require for the industry. I'd like to hear back from you in a year or two though, please keep me posted here or in email!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Old 04-29-2015, 05:11 AM   #95
hlaingmin7
HLAING MIN
MM

Being an CG artist

Hi David ,
So far you are the best idol for me at CG industry . I am trying to be CG artist right now .
And I feel that I am more interest in Matte painting and compositing . But still feel good to do modeling , texturing and some dynamic and particles ( not as much as composting ) . So for an CG artist do we need to learn every single fields (all those modelinig , texturing etc ...) ? and until which level we need to learn . I believe for the matte painting and composting I really need to go deep down for colour theory , lighting etc .. and I am go for it too .
But for the other field ?
Best Regards
Hlaing Min

Last edited by hlaingmin7 : 04-29-2015 at 05:15 AM.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:55 PM   #96
preguntador
portfolio
Andres Morales
Guayaquil, Ecuador

Such a great artist david :D!

i've been following blizzard art in games and cinematics indeed , and it is just amazing , and kind of obvious when artist so talented like you are involved , i want so badly to reach blizzard some day , actually i'm on my way to become a better artist , but i realize how much i have to study for it , so my question would be this david ... what should i study next? and would be the best institute, school or whatever to do it online? actually i have a good foundations about modelling , and i'm able to buil complete characters in zbrush with accersories , weapons etc , but i know that i can be a better char artist , so i dont really know what should i study to improve it all , i mean is texture painting and shading the next step ? or maybe lighting for a char turntable? or render? or rigging ? i dont really know what should i study next or even where in so many online schools , can you give your opinion please? thinking about i really want to reach blizzard level to join in haha

Old 06-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #97
JZAcH
portfolio

Mind blowing work!!!

Old 06-15-2015, 04:55 AM   #98
Ackdoh
www.davidluong.net

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
David Luong
Blizzard Entertainment
Irvine, United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaingmin7
Hi David ,
So far you are the best idol for me at CG industry . I am trying to be CG artist right now .
And I feel that I am more interest in Matte painting and compositing . But still feel good to do modeling , texturing and some dynamic and particles ( not as much as composting ) . So for an CG artist do we need to learn every single fields (all those modelinig , texturing etc ...) ? and until which level we need to learn . I believe for the matte painting and composting I really need to go deep down for colour theory , lighting etc .. and I am go for it too .
But for the other field ?
Best Regards
Hlaing Min

Heyo Hlaing,

Aww thanks so much! The areas you are interested in, make you more of a generalist. Understanding all aspects is great I think especially early on. But you'll want to specialize more into one or two parts of the pipeline if you want to work at the bigger studios. At smaller studios, or where they allow more generalist work such as Environment Artist, knowing all parts is good though. Early on, you'll want to definitely learn color theory, photography, digital painting for environments, and modeling/compositing after. Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntador
i've been following blizzard art in games and cinematics indeed , and it is just amazing , and kind of obvious when artist so talented like you are involved , i want so badly to reach blizzard some day , actually i'm on my way to become a better artist , but i realize how much i have to study for it , so my question would be this david ... what should i study next? and would be the best institute, school or whatever to do it online? actually i have a good foundations about modelling , and i'm able to buil complete characters in zbrush with accersories , weapons etc , but i know that i can be a better char artist , so i dont really know what should i study to improve it all , i mean is texture painting and shading the next step ? or maybe lighting for a char turntable? or render? or rigging ? i dont really know what should i study next or even where in so many online schools , can you give your opinion please? thinking about i really want to reach blizzard level to join in haha

Allo Andres,

I'm happy to be able to help where I can here. What is the status of your art education now? And are you willing to move around or do you want to just do online classes? So I can't really recommend what you want to do next until knowing that I suppose.

At Blizzard, we are more specialized for the cinematics team. If you want to be a modeler, you just need awesome models. If you want to be a texture/shader artist, then you should have a model and can demonstrate amazing procedural and painting as well as technical skill to surface an object. For lighting, you'll want to be involved in fully CG rendered environments/characters, which is hard to do by yourself, more if you were from a bigger studio doing this already. Compositors, are also the lighters at Blizzard, so knowing both is required. Again, hard to do that by yourself, so working at other studios that provide this for your reel and slowly gaining the knowledge and shots for your demo reels is what I recommend for lighting/compositing.

It all boils down to what you really want to do in the cinematics team. Have a look at the job forums at blizzard.com/jobs and you can see it's really broken down by discipline. Focus on which part of the pipeline you are most passionate about, and be the strongest at that. I would recommend the amazing CGworkshops here at CGsociety, Gnomon DVD and Gumroad tutorials for self learning, and Digitaltutors.com for a sort of affordable online course. If you have time to learn all of this on your own at home, then that'll save you lots of money. If you want to do study full time as a student, you will be gaining not just the knowledge, but friends and a network of potential coworkers in the future. It will come at a greater cost money wise though. So which ever one you prefer and can afford of course. Let me know what you are leaning towards.

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

Old 06-15-2015, 03:32 PM   #99
preguntador
portfolio
Andres Morales
Guayaquil, Ecuador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackdoh
Heyo Hlaing,

Aww thanks so much! The areas you are interested in, make you more of a generalist. Understanding all aspects is great I think especially early on. But you'll want to specialize more into one or two parts of the pipeline if you want to work at the bigger studios. At smaller studios, or where they allow more generalist work such as Environment Artist, knowing all parts is good though. Early on, you'll want to definitely learn color theory, photography, digital painting for environments, and modeling/compositing after. Hope that helps!

Allo Andres,

I'm happy to be able to help where I can here. What is the status of your art education now? And are you willing to move around or do you want to just do online classes? So I can't really recommend what you want to do next until knowing that I suppose.

At Blizzard, we are more specialized for the cinematics team. If you want to be a modeler, you just need awesome models. If you want to be a texture/shader artist, then you should have a model and can demonstrate amazing procedural and painting as well as technical skill to surface an object. For lighting, you'll want to be involved in fully CG rendered environments/characters, which is hard to do by yourself, more if you were from a bigger studio doing this already. Compositors, are also the lighters at Blizzard, so knowing both is required. Again, hard to do that by yourself, so working at other studios that provide this for your reel and slowly gaining the knowledge and shots for your demo reels is what I recommend for lighting/compositing.

It all boils down to what you really want to do in the cinematics team. Have a look at the job forums at blizzard.com/jobs and you can see it's really broken down by discipline. Focus on which part of the pipeline you are most passionate about, and be the strongest at that. I would recommend the amazing CGworkshops here at CGsociety, Gnomon DVD and Gumroad tutorials for self learning, and Digitaltutors.com for a sort of affordable online course. If you have time to learn all of this on your own at home, then that'll save you lots of money. If you want to do study full time as a student, you will be gaining not just the knowledge, but friends and a network of potential coworkers in the future. It will come at a greater cost money wise though. So which ever one you prefer and can afford of course. Let me know what you are leaning towards.

David!
Thank you so much for the valuable information
Now i Understand more clearly ,regarding to my education i have an Associate degree in digital arts , since there i studied by my own, practice again and again ,and read so many zbrush book ,so much anatomy and 3d in a generalist way to say so , but now i started to work at an studio doing character for tv and short films ; so here i found how much i like to create character , so i
want to be a 3d char artist , that's why my questions , to know what should i study next to complement the modeling/sculpting abilities i already have , but the obvious answer for me would be lighting , shading n texturing altogether plus a lot of experience to create and build for my reel the highest quality production ready char that Blizzard needs , am i right?

Old 08-17-2015, 09:53 AM   #100
peppilepew
Veteran
portfolio
chris callan
kildare, Ireland

Hi david i love all of your work especially the blizzard stuff.

just one question here. im 29years old and have started learning 3dmax. im a pretty fast learner once i have time but am married and have two kids while working a fulltime job. do u think theres anyway to get good enough learning on your own at home with so little time? probably only 2hours a day if even that with a few extra hours on the weekend?

thanks
chris

Old 09-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #101
mulley96

portfolio

Hello
I like your work
I'm interested in what it's like working in high end film studios

Old 09-19-2015, 08:20 PM   #102
alnevaro
portfolio

research idea

how you can get a beautiful idea in every your work

thanks

Old 10-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #103
Ackdoh
www.davidluong.net

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
David Luong
Blizzard Entertainment
Irvine, United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppilepew
Hi david i love all of your work especially the blizzard stuff.

just one question here. im 29years old and have started learning 3dmax. im a pretty fast learner once i have time but am married and have two kids while working a fulltime job. do u think theres anyway to get good enough learning on your own at home with so little time? probably only 2hours a day if even that with a few extra hours on the weekend?

thanks
chris

Hio Chris,

Sorry for the late reply! Thanks so much, the team at Blizzard is an amazing one. Definitely always room to learn especially on your own and after hours if you can manage it. Don't kill yourself over it though, but being persistent and learning just a little bit each day for an hour or so would be ideal. Even on the weekend, you can ask your family to block out some hours where you get your "me time" so you can speed up your learning. So many resources out there on the internet to learn from such as Gumroad, Patreon, and the CGWorkshops here which are really flexible in the hours of practice and learning due to it's forum style system. Good luck in your endeavors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulley96
Hello
I like your work
I'm interested in what it's like working in high end film studios

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnevaro
how you can get a beautiful idea in every your work

thanks

Hi there, usually I love to play games, watch movies, or even just every day going outside and enjoying walking around and observing things to get inspired for new ideas. I also love photography, so going around and taking pictures for how real life reacts to certain lenses and styles really gets me inspired to. They also act as great base plates for my matte paintings, or reference textures to be used in creative ways!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

Old 10-30-2016, 11:19 PM   #104
Monzer1
Explorer
portfolio

Questions:

How did you decide on which role you would pursue in VFX?
What did you do right after you graduated?
What would you say the upcoming generation of digital artist in your field lack?
What attributes are needed to be successful at your role?
Is it a stressful job role and how do you deal with the pressure?
Are there any films that gave you passion or inspiration for your area of work?
What other interests do you have that help influence your work and keep you motivated?
Have you ever worked with someone who is deaf? If so how did you communicate with them?

of course i will look some questions what you answered. Thank you!

reply share thread