Body topology

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 05 May 2012   #2566
Assistance with Topology(Please help.)

Haya wonderful people of CGS. have desided to do a whole retopo of my character's body.

I wish to have some Crit or even paintovers from you guys.I'm kinda running dry on inspiration atm.

im having issues with the legs atm and im running dry of inspiration. please help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retopo 01.jpg (40.8 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg Retopo 02.jpg (40.1 KB, 332 views)

Old 06 June 2012   #2567
Well, barring the pole above the knee, and the fact that the knee itself could do with an edge down the middle, it looks pretty ok to me.

Old 06 June 2012   #2568
Talking

You need to avoid triangle near area joint . If character for animation/cinematic and ll be with tourbosmooth over- need to avoid triangles everywhere. If it ingame character -in most of area truants is okay also topology depends from which part of character will be animated

available for work in film
My Page

Old 07 July 2012   #2569
A model I've been working on recently. I started with a sculpt in ZBrush to figure out the proportions of the model, then I used Topogun to build different iterations of a low poly version and have been testing them with a walkcycle animation in Maya as I've been building a rig for it.

I mainly work as an animator/rigger but I trying to get better at modeling and studying animal anatomy too at the moment so that I can build complete creature rigs from scratch.

This mesh seems pretty good to me now as it's deforming pretty well when animated, I'm interested to see if there are any notes on it though if anyone has some, I plan to bring it back to ZBrush next and start sculpting details and painting textures. My goal with this eventually is to have a good quality realistic creature that I can animate and render for a portfolio piece.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 09 September 2012   #2570
Hey guys, so I wanna chip in with a question:

do you have an idea about a resource, be it from movie, some making of, or personal experience, about good working topology (trying to avoid the word 'correct' since i don't believe there is just one ) for a muscle simulation rig? the model in question is a photorealistic male, and im just super-curious as to how people tackle this... The only nice working reference i found is the still-best-looking-muscle-rig-on-youtube by Adom Yip here..

if you know of any such resource, im always on the lookout for another point of view on topology for photorealistic creatures/humans/quadrupeds, etc...

thanks in advance

Old 09 September 2012   #2571
Hi nemeru!

Can this be a reference?
http://renpoo.cgsociety.org/gallery/835696/

Old 09 September 2012   #2572
hey renpoo!

thanks for your gallery, it definitely is another point of view!
i'll give it a closer look when i get home from work.

could still use some behind the scenes of something tho im curious how they deal with this in feature studios..

Old 05 May 2013   #2573
I would place the deformation loops for the knee below the patella. The patella travels mostly with the femur. The knee region is more complicated than just a single extruded "cap". It's at least two extrusions, with the deformation loops forming a border between them. The upper is the patella. The lower would comprise the surface bulges created from the infrapatellar fat pad and the top of the tibia.

As for muscle topology, it may sound like a trite answer but I think it boils down to how the muscle or muscle group moves and building a topology that allows for it to stretch, bulge and collapse in those directions. Depending on the detail of the model, you could look at it like a hard surface model where every attached piece has some sort of border loops where they attach to the main. Slide them apart or closer together for less or more muscle definition.

Old 09 September 2013   #2574
I do not believe that this type of mesh is for animation and games. Mesh broken and with many many Ngons. Zbrush or Mudbox not accept this mesh. This type of topology is garbage.

Last edited by Arkatam : 09 September 2013 at 08:32 AM.

Old 03 March 2014   #2575
This is my geometry:
I think very usefully, I can use very well for rigging.
And very easy from this geometry make another new body type, fat or skinny too.

textured version:
male body

Last edited by artofillusionist : 03 March 2014 at 07:12 PM.

Old 10 October 2014   #2576
Originally Posted by Arkatam: I do not believe that this type of mesh is for animation and games. Mesh broken and with many many Ngons. Zbrush or Mudbox not accept this mesh. This type of topology is garbage.

I don't know your background, but the Thread opener is a senior figure artist with lots of awesome figure models. Claiming his models to be garbage is nonsense. He has the artistical skills to make it work.

Of course the usuall 4 sided polygon modeling should be prefered for the daily work. Because it is standard and producing a quality standard is the goal for professionals.

Old 10 October 2014   #2577
Originally Posted by MConDA4ever: I don't know your background, but the Thread opener is a senior figure artist with lots of awesome figure models.

Awesome figure models that can have issues if animated.

Old 08 August 2015   #2578
Awesome

reply share thread