List everyone should read before art school

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2012   #16
Great post, although I have to disagree with #8.

Maybe degrees don't mean much to the artist, but they do still hold a lot of value in the corporate world. The last 4 companies I've worked for as well as the one I work for now all require a minimum of a bachelor's degree to be hired on staff or as a freelancer.

I'm not saying it's that way with every company, but I wouldn't discount their value so quickly.

Last edited by carson4k : 05 May 2012 at 04:29 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #17
I would also add that it is highly beneficial to speak to current students that are nearly complete in their degrees. When I looked for schools countless programs had brutal reviews against them regardless of the institution (Ringling, SCAD, SVA, AAU, USC, etc.) Keep in mind that art school can be very demanding which I think it should be, if students enroll with the mindset that commercials target to they fail horribly and can want to blame the school.

I spoke to every student I could find in current programs and felt much more comfortable in selecting a school from direct input other artists gave, I also suggest searching for student work to see the output from schools. While doing this always keep in mind of the vast variety in individuals as some may just do assignments to get by while others might tinker for hours in their free time as well to do the best.

I was able to find dozens of current WIP's of specific courses as well just by searching on youtube and vimeo for a course title. This gave me a great understanding of what was taught in a course along with student outcomes and progress. Many artists have posted work from start to finish of their degree so you can see educational progress as well. I say to do all this research because you are investing your hard earned time and money to get the most out of training possible.

Old 10 October 2012   #18
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread