Autodesk & perpetual licenses.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2015
Originally Posted by Hammerhead8: For what I do, Black Magic (formerly eye-on) Fusion is perfect. I don't NEED layers, and nodal is preferred. I simply will not have my files held hostage by REQUIRING me to pay them each month just to open and edit them. It's really THAT simple.

I mainly use AE for motion graphics from scratch; specifically to create title sequences.

I haven't tried Fusion, but I found completing the same task in Nuke to be quite painful. Amazing for 3D VFX but 2D titling? Not so much.

Also, I'm routinely given templates to modify containing required background imagery, audio and such. They always come in AE format; never in anything else.

I think there are a lot of people in the same boat as me who has yet to fully break away from AE due to the aforementioned requirements.

10 October 2015
Originally Posted by Hammerhead8: For what I do, Black Magic (formerly eye-on) Fusion is perfect. I don't NEED layers, and nodal is preferred. I simply will not have my files held hostage by REQUIRING me to pay them each month just to open and edit them. It's really THAT simple.

To be fair, they're not really holding your files hostage. Let me explain.

1. Adobe's free membership level gives you 2GB of cloud storage space. When you pay for a subscription, that storage space climbs up to 20GB. If you were to cancel your subscription, Adobe gives you 90 days within which to download your files and get your storage usage back down to the 2GB free membership level. The only way your files are ever put at any risk is if you don't reduce your usage to 2GB within that 90 day grace period after the termination of your subscription. 90 days is more than generous, really.

2. PSD is one of the most commonly supported file formats out there. Even if your CC subscription were to end today, there are a bazillion apps that will open PSDs. Granted, some handle layer styles better than others, but you'll never have to worry about not being able to open and edit them elsewhere.

3. Adobe doesn't claim ownership of your files. It's not as if your PSDs will magically refuse to open elsewhere once your subscription lapses. It just means that you'll have to open and edit them elsewhere, which is fine. You're not even forced to store your files online. TBH, I prefer offline storage with redundant backups, but that's only because I'm a paranoid and obsessive compulsive twit.

Do I like software as a service? HELL NO! I am in full agreement. Nobody wants another monthly or annual bill. I know that don't. The mere act of living is expensive enough these days.

That said, Adobe CC is one service for which I'm willing to make an exception. The cost to benefit ratio is high. $595/year for nearly 20 high quality apps is nothing to sneeze at. You can always find cheap or open source alternatives that will do the job in a pinch or for the short term, but you will never find true replacements that will integrate as well or match their apps feature for feature. Adobe isn't a market leader just because they were there first. Their apps are just that good. I've tried replacing Adobe's apps with other stuff. Never again. Good enough just isn't enough sometimes.

I won't make the exception for ADSK, at least not without being dragged kicking & screaming. ADSK's apps are great. I won't dispute that. Needing to know them is pretty much a necessity these days too. However, unless I'm required to use their apps, I've got several viable alternatives that will get the job done just as well. In fact, some will even let me get the job done faster. I've yet to find one app that's indisputably better than another. That's why the "which app are best" threads are pointless.

ADSK's true power and hold over end users is their ubiquity within certain industries, which only matters if you want to work for somebody else within those industries.

Also, because ADSK's native file formats are rarely supported elsewhere, you're really at their mercy if you want to open your files again. Pay or go away. There's always the option to save to a more generic & cross-platform format, but 3rd party formats can be a bit lossy in terms of what sort of data you can & cannot export. In Adobe's case, PSDs are everywhere and your only limit when opening them with a 3rd party app is how thorough the developer is in supporting the features of that format. In that sense, you're much more likely to be "held hostage" by ADSK's subscription plan than Adobe's.

Last edited by cookepuss : 10 October 2015 at 07:56 PM.

10 October 2015
Originally Posted by spacefrog: BTW: the new Autodesk website is a plain horrific, design and usability atrocity

Yeah. I was just there. It's a mess. Way too flat & linear. It's like reading one of those long spam e-mails. To be fair, I've seen others that are just as bad. They're not alone in the suckage department.

Last edited by cookepuss : 10 October 2015 at 08:00 PM.

10 October 2015
Originally Posted by cookepuss: Yeah. I was just there. It's a mess. Way too flat & linear. It's like reading one of those long spam e-mails. To be fair, I've seen others that are just as bad. They're not alone in the suckage department.

I blame the current JOOMLA/Wordpress template inflation....

reply share thread